SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Finding the right seat cushion for your wheelchair

• Finding the right seat cushion for your wheelchair

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 23, 2018 at 6:40 am

I’ve always used the ROHO seat cushion for my wheelchairs over the years. It’s the most comfortable and it’s easy to adjust. However, the one disadvantage is that it has to be replaced fairly often as it loses inflation. And like every other device people with disabilities use, it’s not cheap!

What about everyone else here? Are there other types of seat cushions that you prefer? Let me know the pros and cons of the type that you use.

patrick-lenihan replied 5 years ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

April 24, 2018 at 11:59 am

Who knew it would be so difficult to find a comfy cushion!  When the company I go through for my cushion “updated” it, I absolutely hated it.  I have no idea what changes they made, but my butt didn’t appreciate it.  After being allowed to try out a few from my durable medical supply company I ended up choosing one from the same manufacturer just a different style.  I think it’s a Jay.  It’s basically a gel foam, so it’s pretty durable.  Probably not as soft as you’re used to though Kevin.  Knock on wood, I’ve never had a pressure sore, but don’t want one either, so it’s very important to get a cushion that works for you.  Is it difficult to get positioned with the ROHO?  That’s why I shied away from trying it.

• kevin-schaefer

April 24, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Seriously! It’s like, of all the things that are complicated for us, you’d think that this would be easy. Oh well.

As far as getting comfortable, it’s generally pretty easy. But I do have to get into a specific position, regardless of whether I’m in my chair, bed or another chair. The ROHO is pretty widely used among SMA people. I’ll look into the one you mentioned though.

• david-z

May 14, 2018 at 9:03 am

I’ve found this site useful for seating/padding supplies.

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/

• kevin-schaefer

May 14, 2018 at 9:15 am

Thanks David! Yeah my cushion is feeling better since I got it adjusted, but I’ll keep this site in mind for future reference.

• michael-morale

May 15, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I recently had a CT scan performed on my right leg. The doctor told me that I had severe muscle damage in my right hip and he recommended that I get a new wheelchair cushion. Laura, my physical therapist, told me about a cushion that would be beneficial for me. One recommendation that I would have for anyone looking for a new wheelchair cushion would be to talk to the company that is going to be providing it to you and ask if they could bring one of these cushions to you so that you could try it for a few days. Never buy a new cushion until you try it first, because the correct wheelchair cushion is very difficult to find. You do not want to spend that kind of money, or have your insurance company spend that kind of money until you know that you have chosen the correct wheelchair cushion. Once you have had a few days to try it to make sure that it works for you, then you know that you are getting the cushion that you need.

• kevin-schaefer

May 15, 2018 at 12:51 pm

I totally agree. I’ve used the same wheelchair service-provider since I was a kid, and they’re great about letting me test out equipment before I use it. You need to see what works and what doesn’t.

• richard-bale

April 27, 2019 at 11:32 am

you can get the comfortable cushion at Flexispot store.
    I also get the cushion for my grandfather, it is very comfy and he is really comfortable with it.

• patrick-lenihan

April 27, 2019 at 4:38 pm

I have a Roho and a Synergy Solutions foam and gel combo cushion. I prefer the Synergy Solutions cushion because it is a bit firmer and that enables me to shift and adjust myself in the chair a little easier.