SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Gamers With Disabilities

• Gamers With Disabilities

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 24, 2019 at 7:00 am

I haven’t played video games regularly in years, but I have friends who are avid gamers. I could get back into it if I wanted to with the adaptive technologies, but I have other nerd passions. In general I just enjoy reading and watching movies a lot more.

For those of you who are gamers though, what devices do you use to play? Have you tried the new Xbox adaptive controller? I was reading earlier about a guy with SMA who reviewed it and talked about its development.

sasha replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

January 24, 2019 at 10:14 am

I sometimes play video games on PC.I usually play now some racing games,and in the past I played more some shooting games and one of my favorite game was FIFA -soccer game.

• kevin-schaefer

January 24, 2019 at 11:22 am

Very cool. Do you use any kind of adaptive controller or something? Or can you use your phone or computer normally to play?

• kelly-miller

January 24, 2019 at 12:18 pm

I would LOVE to be able to play video games on a game box! When I was young (very young) I played with my brother. That was the beginning of video games when we had tennis & minor car races. Then when I got older, I watched my husband play some of the big-name games, but I couldn’t work the controls because my hands had already gotten too weak. Now, all I can play are games on the computer like Candy Crush, mystery games, or other hidden treasure games because I have to use only a mouse with voice activation. I looked up a company that is starting to make a sip and puff controller, but it costs a lot of money right now and is still in the testing stages. I’m really hoping at some point they come up with a great way for those of us who can’t use our arms or hands to play. I can’t do VR either since I can’t move my head very much, and besides you need to use hand controllers for those too. For now, I’ll have to be satisfied with watching others. Unfortunately, my husband has grown out of his video game phase. 😕

• kevin-schaefer

January 24, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Yeah I know the company AbleGamers is doing some cool stuff. Hopefully prices for some of these adaptive controllers and devices will go down in the future.

• adnan-hafizovic

January 25, 2019 at 9:45 am

No i don’t use any adaptive controlers,of course when I was younger I was stonger but even now I can play any games on my laptop.It is easier for me to play on laptop then on Playstation or tablet,smartphones.But main problem is if I want to play new games I must also buy more RAM or stronger processor.Every enjoy cost,lol.

• kevin-schaefer

January 25, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Very cool. Yeah it’s good that there are more options today.

• sasha

December 27, 2021 at 12:50 am

I think mouse + keyboard should be the most accessible compared to other standard options, especially if you use it every day for other tasks. Experimenting with the mouse/keyboard size, additional mouse buttons, desk height, keyboard/wheelchair tray etc. could help.

Currently I use a low-profile keyboard in a tray below the desk, and a Logitech mouse with additional buttons for binding some keys.