SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Getting a New Wheelchair Seat

• Getting a New Wheelchair Seat

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 25, 2022 at 8:24 am

I’ve had my wheelchair for almost 3 years and have disliked every single second of it. I’m not a fan of change, so we put my old seat cushions on this new chair and for some reason, I didn’t fit right in it anymore. I don’t know why it’s taken me three years to do this, but I recently was molded for a new seat… finally.

I have a custom molded seat as that’s what’s been most comfortable for me over the years. Anything I should know or ask before it’s handed off to me? I haven’t done this in years.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • yvette-haas

October 25, 2022 at 10:31 pm

I highly recommend asking them to NOT glue on the top layer of foam (typically 1/2” blue foam) until after you have sat in it and done any necessary shaving of lumps and for lumps. When you try it out, bring some pins with you to temporarily hold the blue foam on while you get in it. Also… Unless you want to feel like you are velcroed to the seat… Bring a garbage bag or a silk shawl to lay over the foam. When you get it close to perfect, THEN they can start sewing the cover, and that will make it easier to hold everything together while you work on the final tweaks.

I also highly recommend ordering your own little foam shaver. They are less than $10, and make it soooo much easier to make smooth edits, just a millimeter or less per swipe, to the harder white foam. I’m not going to include a link because sometimes that delays the comment, but look for a “Stanley Surform Shaver”. I can’t imagine how many years of appointments I would have needed if I was not able to work on my new molded seat at home.

And before they make the seat cover, ask to feel like material options. Last time I did mine, I believe they had 2 types of material, and one was reversable (one side is more slippery than the other).

Good luck!!! I don’t need a new one right now, but I’m already dreading when I will. No matter how picky, annoying, frustrating, or demanding the process may make you feel, I promise I’m worse. Just take your time and keep working on it until it’s both comfortable and functional.

• alyssa-silva

October 26, 2022 at 2:26 pm

These are great points to bring up! Thanks so much, Yvette, I never would have thought of this myself. It is a dreadful process, for sure. I’m usually easygoing with this stuff, but not this time around haha. I was super nitpicky in hopes that we get this right. I’ve been so uncomfortable in my current seat that I’d really like some relief.

• deann-r

October 27, 2022 at 2:45 pm

Love Yvette’s tips. I’ve only done the molded backrest, so can’t give advice on a seat. My problem is usually knowing what needs changing but not being able to articulate it. I’m on 2 years with this chair. At this point it’s tolerable and probably as good as it’s going to get. The backrest is about the only thing I like. Good luck. I hope you can get it nice and comfy.

• alyssa-silva

October 28, 2022 at 10:34 am

Thanks, DeAnn!! It is SO difficult to articulate, especially since the smallest movements make the biggest difference. Hopefully, I conveyed that well to the wheelchair guy.