SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Getting Help In-Between Classes

• Getting Help In-Between Classes

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 18, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Hello all.

As a sort of follow-up to my last post here, I’m curious to hear how all of you receive (or did receive) help in-between classes. As I mentioned, my university provided me with in-class assistants to take notes for me and get my books out of my backpack; but if I needed help around campus in-between classes, I’d just ask friends and other students for help. I’d always plan in advance for a friend to eat lunch with me if I knew I was going to be on campus. Then if I needed to get work done, I tried to have as many PDF’s and digital books stored on my iPad so that I could access them myself at anytime and get the bulk of my reading done on campus (I was an English major).

What about you all? Do you (or did you) have a game plan for getting proper assistance?

deann-r replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

April 3, 2018 at 10:40 am

College definitely takes a lot more planning when you have a disability.  Fortunately my campus was pretty accessible.  Quickly I learned which elevators were the easiest to use and what routes to take so I wouldn’t have to struggle with doors.  Class schedules had to be planned around my PCA schedule.  My modified book-bag sat on my feet so I just asked the nearest classmate to pull out the materials I needed.  Usually I just used my wheelchair to turn a desk around so I could use it.  I wasn’t a cafeteria fan, so I lived on microwave meals, deli sandwiches and of course pizza at least once a week.

One suggestion I have is that if you’re at all considering a service dog start the process early.  Unfortunately I was on a waiting list for my entire college experience, and it wasn’t until after college I was partnered with my SD.  It would have been so helpful to have him during those college years.