SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Getting My New Wheelchair YouTube Video

• Getting My New Wheelchair YouTube Video

Posted by deann-r on March 25, 2021 at 8:00 am

https://youtu.be/eKEf6VtG81M

Alright, I avoided this video for long enough. Here it is. The new wheelchair. Of course it’s not so new. Hard to believe I’ve had it about 5 months already.

I never dreamed my next wheelchair would come amidst a global pandemic. Despite complicating the process my wheelchair came quicker than ever. Going in I knew what I wanted. Of course I had to make compromises because what I want doesn’t exist. Not only did I switch brand, I’m giving front wheel drive a go. In this video I outline the process of getting the chair. You get to see when it arrives, what it took to get adjusted and I’ll show you my favorite features. Although I’m not entirely thrilled with it I’m trying to have a positive outlook.

Have you been through this process recently? I’d love to hear how it went for you.

adam replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • greg-sealey

March 28, 2021 at 8:31 am

Congratulations DeAnn.  I know the journey is long. You mentioned that you hated mid-wheel drive chairs.  I was wondering why.  I went from rear wheel drive to mid-wheel a few chairs ago and have loved it.  To me, in my experience, mid-wheels are the most maneuverable and can negotiate tight turns better than either rear or front-wheel drive chairs. I tried a front-wheel drive chair once and agree with you about the “fish tail” sensation.  I’m sure that gets better though over time.

• deann-r

March 29, 2021 at 9:42 am

Hey Greg! Totally personal preference, I’m glad you’re loving the mid-wheel. For me I really disliked the wide wheel base in the front. It made it difficult to pull up next to anything. Front wheel is only mildly better imo in that respect. The front wheels on my rear-wheel were somewhat inset, so I never had trouble. I also had difficulty navigating outdoors with the mwd. It seemed to get hung up on the slightest barriers. Was terrible in gravel and gave a bumpy ride. I haven’t had the chance to really test out the fwd yet, but from what Kelly mentioned on another post it may be a bumpy ride as well.

• lupa-f

March 29, 2021 at 10:14 am

DeAnn, did you ever get new armrests? I stopped even trying to use my new chair because the ones I have are so uncomfortable.

• deann-r

March 29, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Nope, still waiting.

• adam

March 31, 2021 at 6:48 am

Converted a RWD to FWD for sport back in 1999, got a proper FWD 2nd hand in 2001. Have never looked back. Tried many MWDs over the years and could never get the feel for them and didn’t enjoy sitting on top of the drive wheels getting all the feedback from a bumpy surface.