SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Giving Up on JACO

• Giving Up on JACO

Posted by brianna-albers on July 16, 2021 at 7:00 am

It’s been a long, drawn-out fight, but I’ve decided to give up on JACO for the time being. I wasn’t getting anywhere with insurance, and I feel like, even if I was successful, technology is changing so fast that the robotic arm — as cool as it is — will probably be obsolete soon.

Do any of you know any alternatives to JACO?

sasha replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

July 16, 2021 at 9:17 am

First I have to say I completely get where you’re coming from. After two lengthy appeals and a scheduled telephone hearing with a DHS judge he informed me that the approval had come through the day prior. Good news, but frustrating nonetheless. At least I didn’t have to have the hearing, but I was prepared for it. If it’s something you want keep after it, but I totally understand if the process is getting to be too much.

If you do decide to look at other options might I suggest talking to Dr. Karachunski he might put you in touch with Molly. Do you get evaluated by physical therapist Molly Stark? Sometime this year (not sure when) they’re doing a study with this product https://www.abilitechmedical.com/ Depending on your arm function it might be an option. Maybe you could even get in on the study.

• tammy

July 17, 2021 at 5:27 pm

I had a consultation with the Jaco but the guy was not able to put it on my current chair so unfortunately right now I can’t even try for it. I was told it was compatible with all the chairs LOL but apparently not one that is as old as mine. The one thing I have to say that I don’t like about it is that there is no warranty. I asked the rep about that and he said no warranty or replacement if it stops working. So if it breaks that’s it and it’s garbage. After all that fight and all that money.

• sasha

December 26, 2021 at 11:57 pm

The one thing I have to say that I don’t like about it is that there is no warranty. I asked the rep about that and he said no warranty or replacement if it stops working.

hm, their website says 2 years.

“For two (2) years from the delivery date, Kinova guarantees that any defects in materials or workmanship will be covered without any cost to you.”