SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Goals for Physical Therapy

• Goals for Physical Therapy

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 30, 2019 at 7:05 am

For those of you who do physical therapy, do you talk with your physical therapist about setting specific goals for yourself? When I first got back into PT a few years ago, I wasn’t shooting for anything in particular. I really just wanted to get in the pool and work my muscles some.

Now that I’ve been doing it for a while and I’m seeing improvements in my muscle strength, my primary physical therapist and I are setting more specific goals. Outside of PT, I want to be able to move my hands more easily across my tray. Currently, I struggle to move my hands even a few inches, and I would like to gain that ability back eventually. I also want to work my muscles enough so that my contractures become less severe, especially with my legs.

What about you all? Do you have any goals for PT? If you don’t do any kind of PT, do you have any questions about starting it?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

January 30, 2019 at 9:52 pm

My PT goals aren’t super specific. They are things like maintaining strength and flexibility, and making sure my nurses are properly educated on the home therapy program.

• kevin-schaefer

January 31, 2019 at 10:44 am

Gotcha. Yeah that’s pretty much been me as well. It was just this week that my PT brought up the idea of setting some goals. The ones I thought of were more long term. In general I just enjoy getting in the pool each week and exercising.