SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Handling Incoming Deliveries in a Pandemic

• Handling Incoming Deliveries in a Pandemic

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 6, 2020 at 7:00 am

For many of us, being isolated often means relying on others to bring us essential items from the outside world such as groceries, toiletries, medications, etc. Suffice to say, it has been a little challenging at times to get things when we need them.

My family has been using Peapod and Amazon, as well as a select few family members to bring us our necessities. Even so, we are aware that— even though we don’t come in physical contact with them— they can bring germs to us via the items. So we developed a little system to hopefully mitigate any contamination we may come in contact with.

1. Every delivery is left in the garage as to practice social distancing.
    2. For perishables, my dad gets the items wearing gloves, Lysol wipes every single one, then puts them in the fridge.
    3. Non-perishables are then dumped from the bag they came in and into a box in my office for a few days.
    4. After a few days, we Lysol wipe the items down and use as necessary.

Do you guys have a system for bringing in outside goods? I know this virus is beyond our control, but at least I know we’re doing the best we can. Somehow, that brings me comfort.

halsey-blocher replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

April 6, 2020 at 9:03 pm

We are definitely being cautious about everything that comes into our house right now. We’re spraying every box with Lysol, and letting it sit in the foyer for a day before opening it. Then we spray the contents with Lysol. Basically just using a ridiculous amount of Lysol.

• alyssa-silva

April 7, 2020 at 1:16 pm

At which point do we start Lysoling the Lysol? 🙂

• lupa-f

April 8, 2020 at 7:06 pm

For perishables, I hope nobody is putting lysol on fruits and vegetables. They’re porous so anything like that seeps into them (which is why you never wash them with soap either).

• halsey-blocher

April 8, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Alyssa, I should probably start doing that. ????