SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Have You Tried Matcha?

• Have You Tried Matcha?

Posted by brianna-albers on May 22, 2020 at 7:00 am

If you keep up with my column, you’ll know I’ve gained some weight. After consulting with my nutritionist, I decided to drop down to one formula box — as opposed to two — per night to reduce my caloric intake. It didn’t seem to help, which was concerning, because I’ve been struggling a lot with fatigue due to the weight I’ve put on.

Then I discovered matcha, an alternative to green tea that has less caffeine than coffee and gives you a longer energy boost. I usually have a V-8 Fusion and a smoothie running through my G-tube during the day to give me some extra energy. I decided to swap out my smoothie with matcha, which has been working great so far! It’s cheaper, healthier, and seems to be keeping up with my fatigue. Less calories, too!

Have you tried matcha?

brianna-albers replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

May 22, 2020 at 9:30 am

Hey! Yes, I alternate between coffee and matcha. Typically when I’m having a bad day with my stomach I’ll drink it because it’s easier to handle GI wise. I don’t love the flavor though and don’t have a G-tube. So, I came up with a little concoction that, in my opinion, is DELICIOUS.

I make iced matcha, add about half a cup of sprite, and then add mint leaves to it. It’s super refreshing. If you can take food and drink by mouth I highly recommend it!

• brianna-albers

May 28, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Omg that sounds delicious! I don’t take liquids by mouth anymore but I wish I did!

• brianna-albers

May 28, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Omg that sounds delicious! I don’t take liquids by mouth anymore but I wish I did!