SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Have You Watched Sound of Metal?

• Have You Watched Sound of Metal?

Posted by deann-r on April 27, 2021 at 8:00 am

For $20 the movie theater pop and popcorn better be delivered to my door along with streaming the rental. Despite not forking out the dough to access some Oscar nominees I caught a few that were included with my streaming services. Many of us are aware of Crip Camp that was nominated as a documentary, but have you seen The Sound of Metal? I recently watched the Best Picture nominee through Prime. Although it didn’t get much buzz, I found it interesting. Basically the plot focused on the drummer of a heavy metal band who suddenly lost his hearing. Being thrown into the deaf community he had to learn how to cope and find where he fit in. Not only that he still struggled with personal issues like his addiction and relationships. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts?

As with many movies the actor who portrays the main character doesn’t actually have the disability. However I spotted characters in the movie I know have hearing loss. I’m curious what individuals in the deaf and hard of hearing community feel about the film. Despite that lack of authenticity, I draw several parallels to this film in regards to my own disability.

First I can relate to the devastating feeling of thinking you can’t do what you’re passionate about anymore. That feeling like if I can’t do it at the level I did it before I’m not bothering with it. As the movie unfolds he finds alternative ways to bring music into his life. Of course it’s never quite the same. I get that. You can still find enjoyment though.

Chasing the fix is a recurring theme in the movie. The main fix in this case being a cochlear implant. He envisioned it solving everything. Surprise, surprise it didn’t. In fact not only wasn’t it the magic cure he thought it would be, it alienated himself from those who couldn’t have or didn’t want the treatment. In a weird way I felt similar when Spinraza came about. Even though I’m happy to access the treatment it didn’t necessarily measure up to my expectations. Not only that my heart aches for those who don’t have access.

Life is a learning process. We can’t always control what happens but we can learn to deal with it and be at peace. We can also find comfort in community. That’s my takeaway from the movie. What’s yours?

oluwaseun replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kelly-miller

April 27, 2021 at 2:38 pm

My takeaway: Stop wishing and wasting time & energy on things you either can’t have or that won’t be the end all, be all after you get them. Take a minute to grieve what you’ve lost, then learn a new way to a path that can be equally rewarding with the abilities you have.

As SMAers, we’ve all learned to use “workarounds” to get things we can’t reach, turn on, or desire. But there are always some who, like the main character, expend lots of energy on wishing, dreaming, and resenting things what will never be. Thus, missing out on how to do a workaround and enjoy it in a different way. That’s why I think these groups and forums are such great opportunities for those of us to continue to show our own unusual paths to our goals. And for others to let go of the resentment, the bitterness, and put all that excess of energy into forging their own route.

• deann-r

April 27, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Love that Kelly!

• alyssa-silva

April 28, 2021 at 9:20 am

I haven’t seen this movie so I don’t have any input. But I just wanted to say I really needed to read these words from the both of you today, so thank you for lifting my spirits. Xo

• oluwaseun

April 28, 2021 at 11:30 pm

“Take<span style=”color: #444444; font-family: ‘open sans’; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;”> a minute to grieve what you’ve lost, then learn a new way to a path that can be equally rewarding with the abilities you have.”</span>

Words on marble, Kelly!