• Posted by Lisanne on August 16, 2023 at 2:04 pm

I’m new to this forum, so I’d like to introduce myself. I’m a retired Speech therapist and a mother and grandmother. I was diagnosed at 20 years old with SMA 3. I always knew something was wrong with me but doctors and adults in my life didn’t take me seriously. I felt vindicated when my doctor said he knew what was causing my symptoms of muscle weakness, but devastated to learn it was progressive and there wasn’t a treatment or cure.

Thirty years later, I started receiving Spinraza. I use a walker inside and a scooter when I’m out. I’m thankful for a treatment and for groups and forums that provide support.

Roscoe replied 7 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 17, 2023 at 7:51 am

Hi Lisanne. Welcome to the forums. We’re glad you’re here. 🙂 I’m a moderator here along with @deann-r and @kevin-schaefer ! If you have any questions about the forums feel free to ask us.

How long have you been on Spinraza? Have you noticed a difference in strength?

• Lisanne

August 17, 2023 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for welcoming me here. I started receiving Spinraza in 2018. I definitely think it’s helping to slow the progression of SMA. I’ve suffered through 5 fractures in the last four years and am still able to walk with the aid of a walker. I believe I have Spinraza to thank for that.

• dennis-turner

August 17, 2023 at 4:29 pm

Lisanne,

Dennis here. I also have type 3. I was diagnosed later in my teens. It wasn’t easy being told by my gym teacher that I was just lazy or being bullied for not being strong enough to do things others thought nothing about.

But I am able to live a full life despite SMA. Married with 3 sons, two grandchildren, worked until about 10 years ago when my employer did layoffs and I decided to retire.

I began my Spinraza treatment in 2020 just as the pandemic kicked off. This treatment has helped stabilize me so I am no longer weakening.

Glad you have joined this forum.

• Roscoe

September 24, 2023 at 7:47 pm

Hi Lisanne

My partner is 60 and has Type 3. She has been on Spinrazza now for nearly one year.

There doesn’t appear to be much done to assess progress objectively. I suspect deterioration has been slowed down but not much mobility improvement if any.

Is that your experience?

I’m happy to be contacted directly on [email protected]

I’d really appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks Ross