SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How did you handle cold and flu season at school?

• How did you handle cold and flu season at school?

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 15, 2024 at 11:51 am

During my sophomore year of high school, I developed double pneumonia and was hospitalized for two weeks. Not only was the virus hard to beat, the recovery was just as hard. After that battle, my parents and I decided it would be in my best interest to stay home and homeschool during cold and flu season. From January through March, I stayed home for the remainder of my high school career. 

Truth be told I loved it. I had a couple of teachers come to my house to go over materials and administer exams. But for the most part, I taught myself the subject matters. If my friends were healthy they’d come over occasionally and help out too. It made my school days a little unique but I don’t regret doing it. 

How did you handle cold and flu season at school? Did you take any extra precautions?

alyssa-silva replied 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

January 26, 2024 at 6:46 pm

Ugh, I’m dodging illnesses left and right and I’m not even in school anymore. I’m pretty sure I was sick practically every year back then. There weren’t as many options available for learning at home though. During a math test one time the teacher made me go to the nurses office because my cough was too disruptive. I went from the nurse to the doctor to the hospital with pneumonia. Oh the memories. I don’t recall how I did on the math test.

Was it tough going back to school once you’d been home? How did the other students perceive it, or didn’t you notice?

• alyssa-silva

January 29, 2024 at 9:47 am

You’re bringing back memories for me. I took a final exam in my freshman year of college, got in the car, and immediately developed a nasty cough. I could feel something was off during my exam but couldn’t pinpoint what exactly. The next day I was in the hospital with H1N1.

I was always excited to return to school and be with my friends. I was fortunate to be surrounded by a good group of girls who always had my back. Because of this, I didn’t really care what others thought. I’m sure there were whispers considering I was MIA for a few months at a time. But I was oblivious to it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take the same precautions in college, but I managed to stay fairly healthy other than my bout with H1N1.