SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How do you create happiness in your everyday mundane?

• How do you create happiness in your everyday mundane?

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 20, 2023 at 11:12 am

It’s International Day of Happiness and I’m not… happy? I’ll admit, the first few months of the year are always difficult for me. The cold, the shorter days, being cooped up during cold and flu season, this time of year always affects my mental health more than any other. But, unfortunately, I’ve had some other stuff to deal with this time around too. Things just feel so heavy. 

During these times, it’s important that I prioritize things that bring me joy, or happiness. Spending time with family and friends, driving down to the ocean and breathing in the salty air, reading, and drawing are some of my remedies. 

How about you? How do you create happiness in your everyday mundane?

deann-r replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • anna

March 20, 2023 at 1:48 pm

Mostly reading and watching movies and TV shows. The problem is that none of these seem to work when I’m down. I’ve found that socializing helps me more than anything, but I too try to lay low during cold and flu season. I think the secret is to find happiness in the little things that usually go unnoticed. I used to be better at it.

• alyssa-silva

March 24, 2023 at 11:07 am

I couldn’t have said that any better. I feel the exact same way. It also feels like we’ve been in cold and flu season for three years thanks to COVID. I definitely let my guard down in the summer, but I still take more precautions than I ever used to since the pandemic started. What books are you reading? I’m always looking to add to my Goodreads list!

• anna

March 27, 2023 at 6:42 am

Cool reading list! Based on your interests, I think you would enjoy “The Neapolitan Novels” by Elena Ferrante and almost anything by Zadie Smith. Also, since you like Psychology, I recommend “Stumbling on Happiness” by Daniel Gilbert and “Mindset” by Carol Dweck.

As for COVID, I feel that the damage it caused is, to some extent, irreparable. Everyone is acting like the pandemic is over -and, honestly, maybe it is- but I still have trouble getting back to my previous normal-ish life and I don’t know how long it will take to move on.

• lisa-karczewski

March 29, 2023 at 9:40 pm

How do people manage happiness when they have no family to help them out?

• deann-r

April 1, 2023 at 4:00 pm

Support systems can vary. Community support and friends & neighbors are usually willing to lend a hand if need be. Personally I don’t feel happiness is reliant on others. If I can do things I enjoy and make meaningful connections that goes a long way in fulfilling me. What type of activities do you enjoy spending time doing?