SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology How do you get comfortable in your wheelchair?

• How do you get comfortable in your wheelchair?

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 14, 2023 at 9:12 am

The never-ending saga of trying to get comfortable in my wheelchair continues. A few months back, I got a new custom-molded seat which helped a lot. My old custom-molded seat just wasn’t working anymore. 

However, it still needs improvement. I collapse to my right side which is affecting how I breathe, and well… I need oxygen, ya know? I’m just not sure what to ask for or how to get that added support or lift on that right side. 

Are there any tips or tricks you know of when it comes to your wheelchair seat? How do you get most comfortable while still feeling supported?

gary replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • mark-pratt

August 15, 2023 at 2:26 pm

I recently got a new chair, and the backrest is a Tarta ​​ (tartadesign.it). It’s hard to describe but it has several small pads up the center of the backrest and four wrap-around pads on each side. Each one is individually adjustable. I’ve only had it a few days, but it holds me securely on position. The nice thing about it is each pad can individually be adjusted until hopefully you’re comfortable.

• alyssa-silva

August 15, 2023 at 7:50 pm

This sounds really interesting and could be a great solution to my discomfort. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

• gary

August 17, 2023 at 5:19 pm

Could you give a little more info on this product? Is it available in USA? Cost?

does it work with a permobil chair?

Thanks, and glad you found comfort

Gary