SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Do You Stay Motivated?

• alyssa-silva

January 12, 2022 at 11:26 am

Considering it’s almost 12:30 in the afternoon and I’ve done nothing but watch TV today, I feel like I’m not qualified to answer this question. BUT lol… I will say January is tough for me too. I struggle with seasonal affective disorder, and it’s always at its worst this month. One thing I’ve found is to simply lower my expectations for what I can accomplish this month, as well as give myself permission to rest. These little shifts in perspective have made a big impact on me. Just like nature, my body experiences seasons. And right now I’m in a season of rest.

• lupa-f

January 12, 2022 at 12:05 pm

I actually like this time of year because nobody expects me to go anywhere so I can plan to learn new things without having to worry about appointments or going out. Of course I end up being lazy and never completing anything, but at least I know that’s my own fault rather than not having time to do it because I had to do other stuff.

I also don’t like the Sun so this time is great since it’s only around for about 10 hours. I much prefer being able to control how much light is around.