SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions Dating and Marriage How Much do you Depend on Your Significant Other?

• How Much do you Depend on Your Significant Other?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 29, 2018 at 9:15 am

This is more a question for SMA individuals who are either married or in a serious relationship. I’m curious as to how much you depend on your significant other for physical needs and caregiving services.

I know some inter-abled couples in which the able-bodied partner is the primary caregiver of the disabled partner. This seems like it would be too difficult, but I know there are those who do it. For me I’m reminded of when my parents were my only caregivers, and it was stressful on all of us. They still help me a lot, but I have a caregiver with me throughout the week.

To me, the ideal situation would be to have paid assistants and to have a significant other handle some of the caregiving responsibilities. I know I’d feel guilty if my significant other did everything, but I know there are couples in this situation and they make the best of it.

What about you all? What kind of things does your significant other do for you? Are you able to have a balance of paid assistants? I’m really curious to hear from married folks out there and others in relationships.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.