SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How much do you let your parents do?

• How much do you let your parents do?

Posted by deann-r on June 13, 2018 at 10:05 pm

A couple months ago I started occupational therapy.  The office is just a few blocks from my house so I intended on “walking” there myself.  Of course the weather didn’t cooperate, so Mom brought me.  Sure I could’ve scheduled a ride but she offered to take me.  Now that the weather is nice I could get there on my own, but it makes Mom nervous to have me crossing a busy (but not that busy) street.  I really don’t mind her taking me, but is this a case where I should assert my independence and insist I get there on my own?  I did go once by myself because she had other obligations and it was fine.  I never know how much to rely on Mom.

deann-r replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

June 14, 2018 at 5:49 pm

I would say just do what is easiest for you. If your mom is happy to drive you, then just do that as it sounds like the easiest option. If it’s a big hassle for her, then of course find another way. But it sounds like she would rather drive you anyway as it gives her peace of mind.  No need to assert independence for no reason. That’s just my two cents.

• kevin-schaefer

June 19, 2018 at 3:39 pm

I struggle with this as well. It’s like, of course our parents will be the first ones to jump in when we need them, but it’s also easy to feel guilty or burdensome as a result.

I agree with Ryan. If she offers to help you in situations like this and it gives her peace of mind to drive you herself when the weather is bad, then just let her. Especially since you’re very independent, there’s nothing wrong with letting her help you here and there.

• adnan-hafizovic

June 21, 2018 at 1:08 pm

we must accept that our parents are always concern how we gonna do alone.I usually go alone in walk or in some caffe and wait friends.But I must admit that i have some bad experience because I went alone.I was in town and came to me 2 kids and start to touch my joystick,I was afraid but I had luck that I was near shop where worked my friendin,she came out and defend me.Also I was in a walk alone and stop me drunk guy and said to me that i get up from my wheelchair,but also in this case I had luck that came my friend to defend me.After that bad experience I always look if I saw drunk man I go on other side of street.

• kevin-schaefer

June 21, 2018 at 1:45 pm

People like that infuriate me. I’m glad you had friends to help you in both of those situations, but still it’s ridiculous that some people behave like that.

It’s been a long time, but there was one time when a couple kids took my chair for a joy ride. I was at a hockey game with my dad, and I was out of my chair. Fortunately they didn’t do any damage to it, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

• deann-r

June 21, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Thankfully no one has messed with me in my chair. I’ll take note though to avoid drunk people.  Glad you had friends nearby. I did have one instance where a part fell off my wheelchair in a parking lot. I didn’t have my service dog with me, so had to flag someone down to pick it up.