SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA I opened an Airbnb!

• alyssa-silva

October 18, 2023 at 11:31 am

This is so awesome Micaela! We need more Airbnbs like this. Did you and your family build this house from the ground up? If I’m ever in the Annapolis area I’ll keep you in mind. 🙂

• micaela-macdougall

October 18, 2023 at 12:09 pm

Thank you! We bought the house from a family friend whose parents originally built it. Even though we didn’t design it, it’s the perfect layout, built into a hill so there are direct entrances into the upper and lower floors. We live on the upper floor and airbnb the lower level, and the two spaces are totally separate.

• deann-r

November 7, 2023 at 11:08 am

How’s the Airbnb going? Curious, do you find including accessible features in advertising attract more individuals or do you find some shy away feeling like it’s not for them? On the flip side, do you feel as an individual with a disability people who don’t need specific features shouldn’t take the space away from those who do? On the business side, do you not care as long as you fill the space? Interested to hear points of view on this. Looks like a cozy respite. You’re right though, the bathroom looks a bit snug. I don’t think it would work for me. I need enough width to have a chair over the toilet and to be able to roll under the sink. Sometimes I can open the cabinet door to get closer, but I can’t tell if that would work here. Thought maybe I could brush my teeth in the kitchenette sink, but doesn’t look like I can get under there either, darn it. Looks like I’ll be brushing my teeth with the bottled water at the table. Who’s the adorable doggie?

• micaela-macdougall

November 8, 2023 at 1:52 pm

It’s going pretty well so far, but I think we’re starting to hit the slow season. I haven’t had enough guests to figure out the impact of advertising accessibility features. My guess is that since so few hosts list those features, being one of the only places marked as step-free is bound to attract more guests. But only time will tell.

My pragmatic side is happy to get a booking no matter who it is. But then, I do understand the frustration of finding an accessible place, only for it to not be available. For the business, it’s not really feasible for us to lose customers on the off chance that someone else might have more accessibility needs. I think it’s better to focus on increasing the supply of available accessible places, instead of fighting over who gets what’s already there.

I would love to renovate the bathroom one day, make more room around the toilet and install a wall hanging sink.

Sancho is the friendlier of our two havanese mini poodles. He wishes he could play with all of our guests. 🐶

• deann-r

November 9, 2023 at 8:16 pm

Give Sancho a belly rub! Such a cutie.

It’ll be an interesting endeavor for sure. You’ll definitely have to keep us posted. I agree, we need more accessible destinations.

• mike-huddleston

November 7, 2023 at 3:38 pm

Nice and great location. FYI, I volunteer at an accessible sailing facility near there, CRABSailing.org, on Bembe Beach Rd (Bay Ridge Rd to Edgewood to Bembe Beach Rd). They’re closed for the season, but it’s a wonderful organization and if anyone wants to get out on a sailboat on the Chesapeake Bay, they have 6 accessible 22′ sail boats (transfer via slide box or Hoyer lift) and a power catamaran with in-floor locking mechanisms for those who don’t want to transfer out of their chair. If you’re not local, stay at this Air BnB and come see me at CRAB starting next spring!

• micaela-macdougall

November 8, 2023 at 1:32 pm

I just sailed with CRAB for the first time a couple months ago! I’m not usually an outdoorsy person, but the setup worked really well for me. I now have them in my Airbnb guidebook.

• mike-huddleston

November 9, 2023 at 2:29 pm

That’s wonderful! Glad you enjoyed the experience and that you have it listed!