SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA On Improving Flight Accommodations for Wheelchair-Users

• On Improving Flight Accommodations for Wheelchair-Users

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 15, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Hey everyone, here’s my latest column: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/01/15/new-airline-law-flying-disabilities/?amp.

I wrote about the new federal law in the United States which requires major airlines to report lost or damaged wheelchairs and scooters. This is a huge step toward improving flight accommodations for wheelchair-users, but I also suggested some tips for how the Federal Aviation Administration can expand on this law.

I’ve only flown once in my life, and I barely remember it. This summer however, I am going to go for it and flying with my parents and caregiver to Anaheim, California for the 2019 Cure SMA conference, which I mention in the column. I’m definitely anxious about it, but I’m willing to take the risk. I’m really trying to make it to the conference every year from here on. Hopefully someone will take note of the suggestions I give in this column. I also know other disability advocates who are pushing for airlines to allow wheelchair-users to remain in their chairs during flights. I’m hopeful that this will happen in the future.

For those of you who do fly, what tips do you have?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.