SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Interesting Adventure

• Interesting Adventure

Posted by deann-r on May 4, 2021 at 8:00 am

What’s the most interesting adventure you’ve had? Just when I think I’ve seen it all something new comes along. Over the weekend Mom & I decided to try out a new a greenhouse. Despite being off the beaten path Google Maps guided us there. A beautiful drive with a mix of birch, other trees and pastures filled with cows ensued. Soon we were in Amish country. I wasn’t aware we had an Amish community so close. As we pulled in I knew this would be an interesting adventure.

As we drove up the first thing I noticed was a young man in traditional Amish garb. Secondly I noticed the ledge that might deter me from getting into the greenhouse. Of course I don’t have a portable ramp even though I should. Because of the long drive, okay not really it’s just over half an hour, we decided to unload anyway to see if I could get over the lip. Right away the gentleman came over to see if he could help. I could tell he was as curious about me as I was of him. Without hesitation he grabbed a thin piece of wood from their woodpile that worked perfectly to bridge the gap. I was in.

A young Amish woman greeted us from behind the pay table surrounded by homemade baked goods and handcrafted items. A row of colorful crocheted rugs hung behind her. The cement entry platform sloped down to black landscape fabric with rows of tables filled with blooming plants. I made it this far I might as well go for it. Luckily the isles were just wide enough. To my dismay the landscape fabric covered the most bumpy uneven terrain. My concentration torn between pretty plants an not getting stuck as I knew I had to push through or be stranded.

Behind me with an Amish accent I heard, “How old are you, uh, is she?” Because we were the only ones there I knew she’s referring to me. Mom knew not to respond and I politely answered, rounding down of course because that’s what you do when you surpass 40. Several questions followed including if I’ve ever walked, how I garden and what I do to keep busy. Although I’m used to being quizzed by kids, not too often does it come from an adult. Regardless I believe knowledge is power so I answered her questions. We left with a box full of pretty flowers at a great value and left behind the knowledge that someone in a wheelchair has value too. Or at least I hope that’s what she gleaned from our conversation.

I’d love to hear about your interesting adventures? Have you been caught off guard by situations? How did you handle it?

tammy replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tammy

May 5, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Going to Spain twice and France once was definitely my biggest adventure! Dying to go back

• tammy

May 5, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Also i agree about being questioned by adults. I find it odd & also a bit rude(even if that’s not their intention). But maybe that’s just me. To me it’s like the equivalent of asking someone why they are overweight or why they have a big nose