SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Interviewing Caregivers

• halsey-blocher

August 22, 2019 at 8:40 pm

One of things I like to ask is if they have heard of SMA and do they know anything about any of the machines we use. It’s fine if they don’t but it’s nice to know how much we’ll need to teach them. I also like to ask some questions about there lives outside of work to start building a personal connection. Things like their kids, pets, or interests/hobbies. Also, if it at any point during an interview they say something that raises a red flag for you, pay attention to it. Discuss it with someone you trust, and think about it carefully before you decide to hire someone.

• deann-r

August 22, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Interviewing has never been my forte. My best advice though is to go with your gut. If you don’t have good rapport with them right off the bat they can be difficult to work with. I tend to talk through my routine and give ample opportunity to ask questions. Many people don’t interview in their homes, but I like to so they can get an idea of what they’re getting into. I like to look at their work history too. Partly to see if they have experience but also to see if they’re job hoppers.

• ryan-berhar

August 23, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Thanks