SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA iPhone Accessibility Hack

• iPhone Accessibility Hack

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 26, 2021 at 11:00 am

This weekend, I got schooled by my 10-year-old cousin on how to use my iPhone which made me feel old. Pretty sure I was using an iPhone before he was even born, so that’s awkward.

He set up voice commands on my phone which I thought was awesome. Typically I just use assistive touch, and that’s it. Do you use voice commands? What other features do you find helpful on an iPhone?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • tracy-odell

July 26, 2021 at 11:53 am

What voice commands? I just know about assistive touch.

• blake-watson

July 26, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Yeah there’s a cool accessibility feature in iOS (and macOS) called Voice Control. I’ve been using it some since I’m not really able to operate the touchscreen anymore.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210417

• alyssa-silva

July 26, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Voice control, that’s what I meant! ???? Do you find that your phone picks up other people’s voices, though? I was in a noisy area when my cousin set it up, and my phone kept doing voice commands based on conversations it heard around me. Is there a way to avoid this?

• blake-watson

July 27, 2021 at 12:15 pm

No it sucks if there’s any background noise. It’s not super enjoyable to use so I still avoid using my phone if I can but there are situations where it’s useful… since without it I wouldn’t be able to use the phone at all.

I miss out on some iOS-only apps but big news on that front—new Apple computers the M1 chip can run iOS apps! I don’t have one yet but looking forward to getting one soon.

• alyssa-silva

July 29, 2021 at 10:47 am

Yes, I have the M1 chip! But honestly, I’m not sure what that means. I can use my phone apps on my MacBook?

• deann-r

July 26, 2021 at 8:49 pm

I’m not a huge fan of voice control because of the sensitivity as you mentioned Alyssa, but I do like it for taking pictures in a roundabout way. If you say, “turn the volume down” while you’re in your camera app it’ll take a picture when you have voice control on. With my Galaxy all I had to do is say, “smile.”

• alyssa-silva

July 29, 2021 at 10:48 am

oh that’s such a useful hack! I never even thought of that. Might be good for when my mom tries to take selfies of us haha.