SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Is OT helpful to your well-being?

• Is OT helpful to your well-being?

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 3, 2023 at 12:11 pm

April is Occupational Therapy Awareness Month, and you better believe I texted all my friends a happy month to them! Three of my closest friends went to school for OT after coming to my therapy sessions throughout high school. We always had a blast. 

I definitely had a better experience with OT than PT. My OT sessions would always involve stretching at the beginning, then we’d do a fun activity like baking. I’d roll the dough and place them on the cookie sheets. Sometimes I added Hershey’s kisses to the centers. It was hard work for me. But then I had cookies as a reward after so it worked out. 

Do you or did you ever receive OT? Do you find it helpful to your well-being?

deann-r replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kip-troendle

April 4, 2023 at 4:49 pm

Yes, OT has been better than PT for me.  Much better (less?) stretch of muscles and less fatigue.  I didn’t score any cookies (or kisses) though! 🙂

• alyssa-silva

April 5, 2023 at 2:14 pm

I think the cookies were just because my OT knew how to bribe me. 😂 What types of exercises do you do with your OT?

• kip-troendle

April 5, 2023 at 4:11 pm

All arms/hands/fingers. She never over-extends, as that makes muscles weaker. We usually do 10 reps where she completely does movement on the first 5, then I try helping the last 5.  When I first started with my OT, I thought it wouldn’t help any, but it truly does.

• deann-r

April 6, 2023 at 11:08 am

Much prefer OT. I get bored with it easily though. How do you stay motivated? I guess cookies would help with that.