SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA It’s official! Catheter Placement

• It’s official! Catheter Placement

Posted by brianna-albers on March 6, 2020 at 7:00 am

This time next week, I’ll have a suprapubic catheter, and be able to hydrate as much as I dang well please.

I’m a little nervous. I haven’t had a procedure since my G-tube placement, which was during my freshman year of high school. But it’s an easy surgery, and I’m not going completely under, so I’m trying not to freak out. Thankfully, I don’t have to wait very long. A little over a week!

At this point, I’m more concerned about the coronavirus and the possibility of picking something up. It’s an outpatient procedure, so I won’t be staying the night, and so far there are no confirmed cases in Minnesota. I just need to survive one more week, and then I can go into full hibernation mode.

Anything I need to know going into the procedure? Your experiences have been so helpful and have really soothed my anxieties, so I appreciate it!

susana-m replied 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • rachel-markley

March 6, 2020 at 7:28 am

Yay!!!!! You will need to purchase your own supplies and try to determine what kind of setup you’ll use on your chair (if you’re using a bag). I’ll send you my supply list!

• alyssa-silva

March 6, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Wow Brianna! I can’t believe how quickly that process went! I don’t have an SPC to give advice, but it looks like Rachel has you covered. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted. I actually just got home from having a procedure done without anesthesia, and I know it was the safest option but— ugh. It freaks me out at times, too.

• susana-m

November 30, 2023 at 2:17 pm

Brianna, how did the SPC work out for you? Any advice for those of us considering the procedure? I’ve got conflicting opinions from different doctors but they don’t have to live with the consequences and second hand issues. Don’t want to find the costs outweigh the benefits after it’s done with no way to reverse course