SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology JACO Robotic Arm Tutorial

• kevin-schaefer

October 7, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Ryan. Yeah it becomes even easier to use the more you practice.

It was interesting watching too how your arm strength is. You actually have a little more ability than I do. I can’t lift or move my arm at all. The most I can do with it is move my hand some across my tray and operate my joystick and control switches. It’s just interesting.

• ryan-berhar-2

October 8, 2018 at 4:05 pm

That’s how my left arm is. I can’t move it at all. My right arm still has some ability left.

• kevin-schaefer

October 8, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Gotcha. Yeah my ability in my right arm lasted a little longer than my left. That’s my driving hand, so it gets more use.

• deann-r

October 8, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for showing is that!  I know for myself it seems like it could be intimidating, but your video helps a lot.  Sounds like the company has been really great to work with.  Did they come to you or did you need to go to them?

• kevin-schaefer

October 8, 2018 at 12:44 pm

DeAnn, Kinova really is a fantastic company to work with. They are based in Canada, but they have technicians in the U.S. I’d recommend reaching out to them and setting up an appointment. They can bring you a prototype to try out and see if it’s a good fit for you. Email me and I’ll give you a contact.

• ryan-berhar-2

October 8, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Glad to help. Once I got in touch with the right person, he came to my home in Oregon within the week. Kevin and I would be happy to connect you if you’re interested.