• Sponsored Post

Adapting to Life Outside Our Home With SMA

I once heard a joke that a woman’s mind is like an Internet browser that has 1000 tabs open and running at once. I laughed at the time, but came to realize that if I didn’t actually feel like this before hearing the short acronym “SMA,” I most certainly do now.

I spend much of my time pre-planning and thinking of possible problems that we may run into because of the kids’ diagnoses. I think many other SMA parents do this as well. Prior to our lives with SMA, we didn’t realize just how inaccessible the world is to those who are differently-abled.

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 1 month ago by Ryan Berhar.

• Author
        Ryan Berhar
        Keymaster

In this video, I give a tutorial on how the JACO robotic arm works. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Ryan. Yeah it becomes even easier to use the more you practice.

It was interesting watching too how your arm strength is. You actually have a little more ability than I do. I can’t lift or move my arm at all. The most I can do with it is move my hand some across my tray and operate my joystick and control switches. It’s just interesting.

Ryan Berhar
          Keymaster

That’s how my left arm is. I can’t move it at all. My right arm still has some ability left.

Kevin Schaefer
            Keymaster

Gotcha. Yeah my ability in my right arm lasted a little longer than my left. That’s my driving hand, so it gets more use.

DeAnn R
        Keymaster

Thanks for showing is that!  I know for myself it seems like it could be intimidating, but your video helps a lot.  Sounds like the company has been really great to work with.  Did they come to you or did you need to go to them?

Kevin Schaefer
          Keymaster

DeAnn, Kinova really is a fantastic company to work with. They are based in Canada, but they have technicians in the U.S. I’d recommend reaching out to them and setting up an appointment. They can bring you a prototype to try out and see if it’s a good fit for you. Email me and I’ll give you a contact.

Ryan Berhar
          Keymaster

Glad to help. Once I got in touch with the right person, he came to my home in Oregon within the week. Kevin and I would be happy to connect you if you’re interested.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.