• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Berhar 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
       Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

In this video, I give a tutorial on how the JACO robotic arm works. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Ryan. Yeah it becomes even easier to use the more you practice.

It was interesting watching too how your arm strength is. You actually have a little more ability than I do. I can’t lift or move my arm at all. The most I can do with it is move my hand some across my tray and operate my joystick and control switches. It’s just interesting.

Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

That’s how my left arm is. I can’t move it at all. My right arm still has some ability left.

Kevin Schaefer 
          Keymaster

Gotcha. Yeah my ability in my right arm lasted a little longer than my left. That’s my driving hand, so it gets more use.

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Thanks for showing is that!  I know for myself it seems like it could be intimidating, but your video helps a lot.  Sounds like the company has been really great to work with.  Did they come to you or did you need to go to them?

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

DeAnn, Kinova really is a fantastic company to work with. They are based in Canada, but they have technicians in the U.S. I’d recommend reaching out to them and setting up an appointment. They can bring you a prototype to try out and see if it’s a good fit for you. Email me and I’ll give you a contact.

Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

Glad to help. Once I got in touch with the right person, he came to my home in Oregon within the week. Kevin and I would be happy to connect you if you’re interested.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Videos

• ©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.