SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media JJ’s Girlfriend In “Speechless” Season 3

• JJ’s Girlfriend In “Speechless” Season 3

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 20, 2019 at 11:00 am

Is anyone watching the current season of ABC’s “Speechless”? I’ve been catching up on it on Hulu lately, and I really like what the writers are doing with JJ and his girlfriend Izzy.

For one, these characters have honest conversations about how JJ’s disability factors into their relationship. Izzy openly admits at the start of their relationship that she has questions and anxieties about it, but that she’s willing to work through them. The episode where they go on their first date and Kenneth accompanies them is pretty funny. I also like how JJ and Izzy have to deal with Maya being so overbearing, and the comedic scenarios that stem from this.

Overall, it’s still a really good show, and I encourage people in this community to check it out.

deann-r replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

March 29, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Might try to catch up this weekend.

• deann-r

March 31, 2019 at 11:26 am

Finally caught up. I do think this is a great story line. When I was that age it was so easy to fall in the “friend zone” category. I never pushed it, so it’s fun to see JJ’s character pursue a relationship road bumps and all.