SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Kevin’s Weekly Journal 8/20-8/26/18

• Kevin’s Weekly Journal 8/20-8/26/18

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 27, 2018 at 7:00 am

It’s been a crazy week for me, but there were plenty of pros to balance the cons. Just to preface this post, my week consisted of a wedding, a funeral, a family get-together, asking out a girl, work and my robotic arm malfunctioning. You ready?

So yeah, I actually went to a funeral and a wedding in the same day on Saturday. A longtime family friend from my home church lost his wife this week, and my family and I were able to attend the service. While sad of course, it was a nice celebration of her life and we were able to see and reconnect with many old friends. My parents and I then went straight from there to my friend Lindsey’s wedding. She and I grew up together in church and went to the same college, and it was a nice wedding, albeit a pretty hot outdoor one. I prefer indoor weddings haha.

Most of the week though I’ve had to work around problems with my robotic arm. There’s some kind of internal malfunction going on with it, and we’re having to send it back to the company’s headquarters for repairs. They’ll also be sending me a loaner while they fix mine. It’s annoying, but the company is great to work with and they’ll get it fixed. It’s just that because I’m so dependent on mine, a few days without it makes daily life a bit of a hassle. Fortunately though my loaner is supposed to come tomorrow. I’m also very blessed to have family and friends who are more than willing to help with things like feeding and drinking when my JACO arm is out of commission.

And yes, as I mentioned in another post I did ask out a girl the other day. This person is taking a break from dating right now, but said she’d love to hang out sometime. I said in that post that it’s important just to have confidence in this area.

So yeah, it was a busy week. Work’s still going well, though I’m trying to be more intentional about setting aside time for rest and relaxation. I have a tendency to overdo things sometimes, and I need to be away from work at designated times so that I have enough energy for the rest of the week.

What did you all do this week? I hope you have a great week ahead, and please let me and the other moderators know if there are any particular topics you’d like to discuss here in the forums.

garretstimson replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

August 27, 2018 at 11:41 am

Between the funeral and wedding bet you got your fill of socializing.  It can be nice to have everyone in one place.

Malfunctions are the worst!  A lot of people equate it to car trouble when my wheelchair breaks down, but it’s so much more than that.  Hope they get it fixed quickly.  Glad they’re sending a loaner.  I’d imagine a loaner just wouldn’t be the same.  Do they all pretty much work similar, or are they customized to you?  How long now have you had it?  It really makes you realize how much you use something when it’s broken.

Sounds like you didn’t get totally shot down on the dating front.  Hanging out may not be a date, but who knows, it could lead to one.

Have a great week!

• kevin-schaefer

August 27, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Thanks DeAnn! Yes I definitely got my share of social interaction. I’m ok being a hermit today haha.

They really are, and other people don’t get it. Fortunately the loaner works just fine. It came today and it felt great not having to rely on my parents or caregiver to feed me. Kinova does a great job of keeping the loaner arms in prime condition, so I don’t mind using it. Hopefully they will get my arm fixed quickly, but until then I don’t mind using the loaner (this sentence could sound bizarre out of context).

And thanks! Yeah she’s really cool and I’m just hoping to get to know her more. We’ll see where it goes. Have a great week as well!

• garretstimson

October 6, 2018 at 4:55 am

It is interesting to read your blog post and I am going to share it with my friends.

Herbew Fentos