SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Levalbuterol for Energy

• Levalbuterol for Energy

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 26, 2021 at 11:00 am

My body has pretty much been through the wringer and back in the last year. I’ve lost weight, gained more health problems, and grew accustomed to a much less active life. In other words, I’m paying for it now as I try to rebuild strength. Obviously, this isn’t going to be easy. But slowly but surely I’m working on myself and heading in the right direction.

That being said, I am SPENT. So, I’ve been taking a puff of my levalbuterol inhaler for energy and I’ve noticed a great benefit in doing so. Levalbuterol acts similarly to albuterol, but it doesn’t give me as bad of a shaky feeling. It also helps with my allergies right now which is really ideal right now.

While I use an inhaler, there’s also something called albuterol sulfate which is a liquid. It’s prescribed by a doctor and given to people with SMA for an energy boost. It made me a little too shaky which is why I now use a levalbuterol inhaler instead. (Probably because I drink coffee along with it. Too much coffee.) What’s something you do to give your body a little extra boost? I could use some advice as I’ve been getting easily discouraged when I try to do things I used to do and tire out quickly.

tammy replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • survivinglife

May 26, 2021 at 11:14 am

I wish I could give some advice, but actually I need some advice on this one too.

• tammy

May 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm

I know it’s usually considered “frowned upon”, but have you asked your doctor to put you on a round of steroids maybe even just one time per year? I know they don’t like to use steroids often because it can damage your bones but I can’t imagine one packet per year having too much of a negative effect. Although I’m also not a doctor so what do I know LOL. Was just a thought. Because they can give a boost in energy. Especially if you are having that hard of a time. I feel like in my opinion, the benefits would outweigh the risks. I do use albuterol in the nebulizer, but it doesn’t make me shaky or give me any energy that I notice. But I’ve been on it since I was a kid so I think my body is just used to it. I have heard that the shakiness is only temporary when someone is going on it for the first time. Your body will adjust. And I drink a lot of coffee too(espresso) but still don’t have any shakiness from the Albuterol. I have also heard collagen water can give you energy if you drink it after waking up. Only downside is it’s kind of expensive. Every once in awhile I drink one but not on a daily or even weekly basis because of the cost. I just find them refreshing once in awhile. Hope some of this info is at least somewhat helpful

• alyssa-silva

May 27, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Steroids actually have an adverse reaction with me so I try to avoid them at all costs. But I’ll have to try collagen water!! I started drinking it then stopped for no reason. Going to add it to my grocery list. 🙂

• tammy

May 28, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Yeah try the collagen water! It’s good for your joints too so either way, can’t hurt. I like the vital proteins strawberry lemon. Its pricey but only has 3g of sugar from monk fruit. No artificial sweeteners

• alyssa-silva

May 29, 2021 at 10:31 am

Yes!! The strawberry lemon one is really good!

• tammy

May 29, 2021 at 12:53 pm

It’s so good! I swear I would drink them twice a day if it wasn’t $3 a bottle. And they are like never on sale LOL. Even if you do the monthly subscription from the website directly, it’s still way too much

• tracy-odell

May 27, 2021 at 7:45 am

I use creatine powder – micro fibre – suspended in about 4 ounces of orange juice. Creatine helps athletes do repetitive muscle action longer without the muscle giving out, and so is recommended to me by my neurologist. I can use the mouse longer when I take it and I don’t have any other symptoms like being shaky. I really notice a difference if I forget to take it one day. If I have a lot to do in the afternoon, I will take another round of it but once in the morning is usually enough for me.

• alyssa-silva

May 27, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Ooh interesting! I’m definitely going to look into this. Thank you!

• tammy

May 28, 2021 at 8:43 pm

I tried a couple doses of creatine but got scared about the possible liver damage warning so i stopped. Did you doctor have any concerns about that or did he/she think the risk is low? I may ask my neuro about it & see if he thinks its worth trying again