SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Living With a Friend as a Caregiver

• Living With a Friend as a Caregiver

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on June 1, 2018 at 2:05 pm

Over the past year, I have had the opportunity to live with my best friend who was one of my caregivers during this time. Even though it was at my parents house, it was still a valuable and awesome experience in so many ways. It’s something I would highly recommend if possible. Have any of you had the opportunity to do this? If so, what was it like? Were you able to get your own place and split rent with a friend or two?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

June 5, 2018 at 11:33 am

Great that it worked for you Ryan.  When I was striking out on my own this idea of a roommate was pressed upon me by the county.  Really they didn’t want me alone overnight, but didn’t want to cover the hours.  I didn’t feel if I had a roommate I should be their responsibility.  Eventually we got it worked out so I have a PCA overnight.  I’ve heard in many instances it works out having a roommate.  Some have even worked it out where there’s an exchange of room and board for cares.  I’d love hearing stories of what arrangements are made by everyone!

• kevin-schaefer

June 5, 2018 at 3:52 pm

That’s great that it worked out for you. My friend Jacob, who was also one of my aides in college, did pitch this idea to me at one point. We looked into it, but ultimately it was hard to find a place with the proper accommodations and that was affordable for both of us. I’m still happy with the independence I do have currently, but something like this is still a possibility down the road. Thanks for sharing.

• holly-payne

June 12, 2018 at 5:49 pm

For just over a year now, I’ve lived with my best friend, who has been my primary caregiver. It has been hands down the best year of my life. We work on many projects together anyway, so it has been awesome. We’re getting ready to move to another city, so some things may have to change or be done differently, but we’re making the move together and looking forward to the new season!

• ryan-berhar-2

June 12, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Hey Holly! Great to hear from you! That is so exciting! Happy for you and best of luck with the move.