SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Managing Your Health and Other Aspects of Your Life

• Managing Your Health and Other Aspects of Your Life

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 20, 2022 at 6:10 pm

Is it too soon to say “it’s been a year?” Because, truthfully, that’s how I’ve been feeling as of late. I think I’ve eluded to the fact that I’m dealing with some extra health issues enough times in these forums to support that statement. It’s just been a lot from an emotional standpoint. How do you all manage when dealing with unexpected or added health issues?

I’m finding other areas of my life (the good and happy areas!) are starting to be affected because I am so consumed by my health. So, I need to somehow learn to honor the good and the bad and strike a better balance with my mental health. There’s still good happening all around me. But I’m too focused on my health to notice when I shouldn’t be. Any tips?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • blake-watson

January 21, 2022 at 5:48 pm

I also having a similar problem (and I suspect many of us do). I don’t know that I have any good advice but this is how I deal with it. It’s a sort of double-strategy approach:

1. Time block “health” time. I do this in my head mostly but you could also use a calendar app. Basically, I know what times I’m going to need to do health stuff and I deal with it by knowing that it’s going to end. I look forward to, and keep my mind on, the time between (which fortunately is still most of the time for me). It’s also a sort of deal I make with myself—not to think about health time stuff until it arrives. Of course, this only works for things that can be scheduled. So my other strategy is…
    2. Use assistive tech and other adaptations to mitigate the negative effects of health stuff as much as possible. One example, because of nerve pain in my legs I’ve been needing to take breaks out of my wheelchair. This can interrupt my work or play, depending on what I am doing, so I figured out a good setup for using my computer from bed when needed so that breaks don’t have to disrupt me.

Obviously this isn’t a magic bullet or anything. Sometimes health stuff can be overpowering to the point where it’s hard to think about anything else. I just try to keep my mind occupied, usually lost in one of my projects.

Anyway, hope your year gets better soon!

• alyssa-silva

January 21, 2022 at 6:18 pm

This is great advice, Blake. I like the idea of blocking out time to do health-related things. I feel like that would be a great strategy for me. Thanks man. I appreciate it!