SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Medicaid threshold question

• Medicaid threshold question

Posted by tammy on August 10, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Does anyone know the answer to this?… so every year I have to complete a Medicaid annual renewal form. Which after doing it so many times, has become a pretty standard and easy process. As most of you know they ask for photo copies of your bank statements and work paychecks, etc. So it occurred to me as I was getting all the documents ready to mail, that on my bank statement in the section where it shows a total of all of my deposits for that statement period, that the deposit total was $2,200. Not my beginning balance or ending balance, just my deposit total. My bank shows the total amount of all of my transactions including withdrawals. I know they say you can’t have more than $2,000 in your bank but it was not in my bank all at once. I never let my balance even come near $2,000. Do you think this will cause my Medicaid to be canceled? I am super stressing out about this. I don’t know if they would consider a deposit total as part of the threshold limit. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

tammy replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • blake-watson

August 10, 2021 at 9:04 pm

As I understand it, they check the balance as of midnight on the last day of the month. They don’t care about fluctuations. You could have $5,000 on the 15th but as long as you spend down below $2,000 before the end of the month you should be good. I’ll try to find the source for that and report back… but just so you can stop stressing, that’s my quick take on it. ????

• yvette-haas

August 10, 2021 at 9:08 pm

I was under the impression that it can never be over the limit for more than a month. BUT… I’m not positive if that was for Madicaid or for my PCA Waiver Program through the state.

• tammy

August 10, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Thank you so much!

• blake-watson

August 10, 2021 at 9:08 pm

Found it! If you’re Medicaid eligibility is through SSI then it’s like I said above.

Eligibility with respect to resources is a determination made as of the first moment of each calendar month and applicable to the entire month. Subsequent changes have no effect until the following month’s resources determination. Thus, resources eligibility (or ineligibility) exists for an entire month at a time. See SI 01110.600 on monthly determinations.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0501110001

• tammy

August 10, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Thank you!! I was literally sitting here panting over it and wondering if I should call them to explain but then thinking maybe I should not draw attention to it and maybe they won’t notice lol. I feel much better now! Like I said it was just the amount of deposits over that time. But not what my balance was. Not even for one day was it over 2,000. I am so good about making sure I am under. Like way under it. My comfort zone is usually a thousand or less

• blake-watson

August 10, 2021 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, in that case you have absolutely nothing to worry about. ????

• tammy

August 10, 2021 at 10:06 pm

So if you could just explain what this means to me… “Thus, resources eligibility (or ineligibility) exists for an entire month at a time.” Cuz I got confused when things are worded in a complicated way LOL maybe it’s ADHD. In my head that sounds like it’s saying they calculate based on what’s within that month. But I trust what you were saying that as long as it’s not there on a long-term basis.

• blake-watson

August 11, 2021 at 12:42 am

I believe it means your eligibility status is determined at the beginning of the month and doesn’t change for the whole month.

Let’s say they make a determination at the beginning of the month and decide that you are eligible. You then have eligibility for the entire month no matter what. That won’t change until they make the next determination at the beginning of the next month.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that’s what that means. ????

• alyssa-silva

August 11, 2021 at 9:17 am

This is such a helpful thread, but it makes me sad that we have to stress over silly little things like having over $2,000 in our bank accounts… $2,000… 🙁 I hope the SSI Restoration Act passes and passes soon.

• blake-watson

August 11, 2021 at 10:47 am

???? The current limits are oppressive. Personally I would like to see all means testing removed for disabled workers and introduce a “premium” that is based on the individual’s income. Free us to pursue opportunities without fear of losing PCA care or other necessary benefits.

• tammy

August 14, 2021 at 11:16 am

Ok i have another question lol. Does our SSI checks count towards our yearly income limit for Medicaid??

• blake-watson

August 14, 2021 at 11:30 pm

That’s a good question, I’m not sure. I want to say as long as you are within SSI’s income limits then you are also within Medicaid’s limits.

• tammy

August 16, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Yeah I seem to always get confused about this stuff. Cuz I work, and Medicaid does ask for copies of your paychecks and SSI checks every year so I’m assuming that money from SSI count towards your Medicaid income limit. Cuz when I try to calculate how much I’m allowed to work I also have to factor in SSI I would assume

• tammy

August 11, 2021 at 1:56 pm

You’re absolutely right, it is ridiculous that we have to stress over such a small amount of money. Especially when they go around handing out food stamps like they are breath mints. To people who don’t really need it but know how to scam the system. Makes the people who do really need it look bad. I know so many people who have used food stamps even though they are fully capable of holding down a good job, just because they can. Makes me sick. Exactly what I was stressing about last night was the fear of my Medicaid being cut off and losing my PCA’S. Not something that any of us should be stressing about when we have enough going on