SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Life Lessons From a Millionaire With SMA

• Motivation Monday: Life Lessons From a Millionaire With SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 16, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hope you all had a great weekend!

For today’s Motivation Monday post, I wanted to share this viral blog post from 2016. The author, Jon Morrow, is a multi-millionaire who started out poor, and he has SMA. I read this shortly after it came out, and it blew my mind. This story isn’t one of those cheesy “inspirational” articles about overcoming disability. Jon’s piece offers raw and concise tips for success in life. Even when he had everything working against him – physical limitations, financial restrictions, a horrific accident – he found a way to come out on top.

It’s easy to get in the mindset of “I can’t/My circumstances prevent me from this, this, and this.” This goes for anyone, not just those of us who have SMA. Life will kick all of us down at some point, but stories like Jon’s remind me that humans can overcome insurmountable obstacles.

If you’d like to read more honest and powerful stories from people with disabilities, I recommend The Pretty One by Keah Brown. Keah is a disability rights activist and writer, and her new memoir is a great collection of personal essays. I’ll be writing more about it soon, but please check it out for yourself. Start your week with a good book!

Do you have any takeaways from Jon’s story?

lupa-f replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lupa-f

September 17, 2019 at 1:02 am

Apart the from the fact that he defrauded the government, it’s a nice story.