SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Managing Stress

• Motivation Monday: Managing Stress

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 29, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For today’s “Motivation Monday” topic, let’s talk about managing stress. Stress is something we all deal with, whether we like it or not. I know for me, I’ve had a lot of things going on, and these circumstances have increased my stress levels. This past Saturday alone, I had my brother’s wedding, and I had to train a new caregiver that morning.

As people in the SMA community, I think it’s important that we learn to effectively confront and manage stress. This article explains the benefits of managing stress, instead of trying to avoid it.

Do you have any thoughts on this article? Do you have any tips of your own for managing stress?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

July 29, 2019 at 7:17 pm

I’ve been feeling pretty stressed lately, because, to put it simply, it just never stops. SMA never leaves. There’s never any real relief. You can’t go on vacation and escape and forget about everything for a while. Watching sports is my greatest escape, and it’s summer, so that has something to do with why I’m feeling it a bit extra lately.  It’s like it’s all I can do just to tread water, and once I make a little progress, a title wave sweeps me away. It gets real discouraging at times, especially when I watch my two best friends get married and leave me behind to a certain extent. I get it. That’s how life works, but it’s not working that way for me. I know the advice is always “don’t compare yourself”, but how am I supposed to feel when this happens? I can tell you it’s brutal. Sorry, that sort of turned into a rant haha. Seemed like a good opportunity to vent a little.

• halsey-blocher

July 29, 2019 at 9:18 pm

I think one of the best ways to manage stress is having one or two really close friends that you can talk about and through things with. I’m honestly very close to my mom and I also have one friend in particular that I share a lot with. They are both people that I trust and that I know I can talk to in confidence. I’ve also started journaling lately. I’m finding that it’s nice to have somewhere to express my thoughts and get things out of my system privately.