SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Naming Smart Plugs

• Naming Smart Plugs

Posted by deann-r on April 22, 2021 at 8:00 am

I love my smart plugs.  Everything from my lamps to chargers, fans and even my wax warmer are plugged into one.  Despite their ease of use I have a dilemma.  What do you name them?  When the names are too similar it confuses Alexa. For instance plug one, plug two and plug three might cause confusion because they all start with plug.  Therefore I’ve named them for what they’re used for.  However, what do you do when you use them for several of the same item?  Like chargers or lamps.  Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I’ve already needed to change the names for some things.  Keep in mind my cat’s name is Kitty, so original names aren’t my forte. 

patrick-lenihan replied 2 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • tracy-odell

April 22, 2021 at 9:28 am

I use Google Assistant rather than Alexa. My are named by function: Christmas Tree, Tracy’s Lamp etc.

For fun, ask Alexa who is prettier – her or Google Assistant?

• deann-r

April 22, 2021 at 10:25 am

Ha ha, Alexa admires all AI apparently.

• lupa-f

April 22, 2021 at 12:30 pm

I try to name them by the room or the main thing they’re next to. I only have lights set up so I’ve got “computer lamp” “bed lamp” “living room lamp”. I’ve got some others next to my bed I never use and shouldn’t have bought, so they’re named “stupid lamps”.

• patrick-lenihan

April 22, 2021 at 3:21 pm

I name them based on the location or the object plugged into the plug.