SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA New Year’s Resolutions and Goals

• New Year’s Resolutions and Goals

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 2, 2020 at 11:35 am

Happy 2020, friends!

Have you set any resolutions or goals for the year ahead?

I’ll be honest… I am not the goal-setting type— at least in the measurable goals kind of way. Of course, there are things that have my focus, things that give me clarity on the trajectory of where I want to go in the year ahead (ie. more writing, more rest, better eating habits, etc.)

But, I don’t set specific, measurable goals like “I’m going to write 10 blog posts by March 1st.”

Because the truth is— and I’m sure you’ll understand— living with SMA can be unpredictable at times. One minute I can have all the energy in the world to tackle my goals, and in the next my body can be so fatigued I can barely move.

And in that moment where I’m fatigued and frustrated, I fall short on those measurable goals I set. And I get upset, beat myself up, and throw the potential of accomplishing said goals out the window.

I realize that’s unfair to do to myself, so instead I set realistic goals while giving myself the grace to accomplish them at my own pace.

What about you?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

January 2, 2020 at 6:32 pm

Like you I don’t really make a specific resolution per say.  Typically I look back and take a mental note of what I’m unhappy with and make a plan to try & change it.  Since starting Spinraza I’ve gained some weight, so I’m going to try to be more conscious of what I eat.  In conjunction with that to be more active.  We shall see how it goes.

• alyssa-silva

January 3, 2020 at 10:48 am

Does Spinraza make you hungry? There’s a certain point in my 4-month cycle where I become FAMISHED for like 2 weeks and can’t stop shoveling food into my mouth. I wish it’d help me gain weight, but I tend to just fluctuate instead.

• halsey-blocher

January 3, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Once again, you seem to be one step ahead of me! This is what my next column is about. So I won’t share too much so I don’t spoil the whole thing. I don’t tend make New Year’s resolutions either, but I do like having a few goals. I planning to focus on sticking to the goals that I already had.

• deann-r

January 4, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Alyssa, yes I have much more of an appetite since starting Spinraza.  Before Spinraza I could never figure out how people could snack so much.  Especially in the evenings.  Now it’s like 8 o’clock rolls around and I’m thinking I could use something to eat.

• alyssa-silva

January 6, 2020 at 8:38 am

Can’t wait to read it, Halsey! I wrote a similar column last year, and it jogged my memory for this forum. 🙂 Here’s the link to it: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/01/11/taking-new-approach-new-years-resolutions/

• halsey-blocher

January 6, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Alyssa, I really like that approach to making goals! I especially like the part about giving yourself grace. It’s one of the most important parts, yet we so often struggle with it.