This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by Adam.

• Author
      Adam
      Participant

Australia has recommended Risidiplam for patients with SMA 1, 2 & 3 … if they’re under 18.

That means it’ll be massively subsidised and therefore affordable.

They did the same with Spinraza.

I’m happy as a pig in shit for the young ones but I’m 35 & a rotten mix of absolutely fucking furious, disappointed & worth less (not “worthless” but worth less than others – if I paraglyded into a cliff tomorrow they’d spend 100’s of 1000’s of $$$ to rescue me off a cliff my dumb arse crashed into).

I guess they’ll try again next year but as we know a lot can be lost in a year.

Total kick in the guts.

Alyssa Silva
      Keymaster

Ugh so sorry to hear that Adam. Wish there was a solution for you, but know that you’re free to vent here anytime. I remember feeling your frustrations a few years ago.

Adam
        Participant

Thanks Alyssa. TBH here’s the only place I vent that stuff & feel anyone has any idea what I’m saying. This news dropped 2 days into having my best mate travel 2000kms to come spend a boys week full of beer & fun & it pissed me off extra for putting a downer on me. Can sorta tell him but at the same time I hate to put my shit on anyone else – had to fake a sore back today just to go sit in the dark by myself & shut the world off for an hour to reset.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

Doesn’t it make you want to punch a hole through the wall? Except you can’t because they won’t give you the medication. It’s ridiculous that they come up with this arbitrary number that just discounts a whole segment of the population that could benefit. You said it was the same for Spinraza. Have they broadened the scope for it yet?

If it’s any consolation I don’t feel Evrysdi is all it’s cracked up to be. At least for me. Of course that being said I think everyone should get the opportunity to try it for themselves. Keep fighting for it. I know it sucks, but your struggles might make it easier for the next person.

Adam
        Participant

Cheers DeAnn. Absolutely! My god I miss being able to clench a proper fist let alone the strength to throw it at a wall.

It’s beyond ridiculous. Like do we lose a key ingredient to being worth help after our 18th bday?

Spinraza is still the same.

That does make me feel better a bit & yeah I’m resigned to be a thorn in their sides for which I’ll never reap rewards myself but hopefully its easier for the next person as a result.

In hindsight if I knew this decision was coming I shoulda defrauded the disability insurance scheme for years to fund my own treatment. What they gonna do, jail me? lol

oluwaseun
      Participant

The way you guys reacted to Adam’s comment has really given a huge boost to my confidence. I am new here and most people around you physically don’t really get the depth of what ever you say or feel physically, because it is not them in the first place.

I know on my low days I can always speak or vent and people here will understand.

Adam, people like you give us the tug to continue to push even beyond hope. I know there will be soup for you but maybe not in the ways we expect.

Thanks.

Adam
        Participant

You’re not wrong, mate. Great community here.

Minestrone please lol

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.