SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA On Being an Aunt With SMA

• deann-r

October 22, 2018 at 11:28 am

So, it appears I have competition for greatest Aunt ever!  Seriously, great article, and even if we can’t be an aunt or uncle in the traditional sense, we find our own way.  When my nieces got old enough where they only needed supervision, they would even come to spend the day with me.  I’m sure it made my sister nervous at first, but I assured her I had all the emergency numbers close at hand.  It’s funny, just by the tone of my voice or stern look those girls knew I meant business.  Of course we have lots of fun too.

Personally motherhood isn’t in the cards for me.  Parenthood with SMA is probably another topic altogether.  For now I’ll settle with passing on life lessons to my nieces.

• kevin-schaefer

October 22, 2018 at 12:46 pm

I like how you talk about your relationship with your nieces in your videos. It’s a cool thing, and we find ways to work around the things we can’t do physically.

When your nieces were little, did they ever try to press the buttons on your chair?

• deann-r

October 23, 2018 at 10:29 am

Ha, ha Kevin.  They’re almost 14 and still press the horn when I’m not looking.

• kevin-schaefer

October 23, 2018 at 10:46 am

Sounds right haha.

• ryan-berhar-2

October 22, 2018 at 6:34 pm

I’m by far the oldest of my siblings, so I’m not an Uncle, and probably won’t be anytime soon. I have a lot of cousins, however, which I imagine is similar.

• adnan-hafizovic

October 23, 2018 at 10:22 am

I m uncle have one nephew,he also has SMA type 2,and he specially loves that i find some video games and install on their laptop or tablet.We are much related and spent a lot of time together.