SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Being On Other People’s Schedules

• Being On Other People’s Schedules

Posted by deann-r on November 2, 2018 at 10:37 am

I know we’ve probably touched on this before, but how do you cope with being on other people’s schedules? It’s usually more of an annoyance for me that I just shrug off, but it can be really irritating. Today, my PCA got me up later than usual. Luckily, I don’t have much going on, but it just makes me feel rushed. I was also planning on going to Mom’s today. I thought she’d be here early, so I haven’t gotten into anything. I haven’t heard from her yet. I just could’ve gotten so much done. Oh well, just thought I’d voice my frustration while I wait.

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

November 2, 2018 at 11:59 am

DeAnn, I totally understand. Being at the mercy of other people’s schedules is something I’m accustomed to, but it’s never something I enjoy. I try to stick to a rigid schedule and be conscious of other people’s time, but it’s frustrating when a caregiver or someone messes that up. It can drive me crazy. Sometimes just venting about it helps.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 2, 2018 at 6:40 pm

This is just one of those things. Even if you’ve managed to leave your parents’ home and/or get your own caregivers, the fact is we rely on someone else to survive. I can’t put into words how frustrating it is. I approach it like I do everything else—one day at a time. I have enough strength to conquer today’s challenges, but if I start taking on future trials right now, I’ll become overwhelmed.