SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Permobil raised armrest lock

• Permobil raised armrest lock

Posted by lupa-f on July 16, 2020 at 5:09 pm

I’m still working on getting the wheelchair I got in November usable. My rep never came back to adjust things before COVID came along, so recently I’ve started trying to fix it up myself. I found out one of the reasons I was having so much trouble getting it right was that it came broken. I figured out what was wrong and asked them to order a part for me. So while I’m waiting on that part to get sent to me, I’m trying to get solutions to the other issues I have with the chair.

When I transfer on/off the chair, I have to lift the armrests up so they’re pointing straight up and they don’t seem very stable in that position. It doesn’t take much to make them fall back down and they’re pretty heavy, especially the one with the joystick attached. It’s not really nice being smacked in the back with one while transferring. Has anybody found a way to have the armrests sort of lock in that up position or some kind of clip or device I can put on it to hold it in place better? On the old scooters I’ve used the armrests rub against the seat back and will stay in any position I put them in so I’ve never had this issue before. Thanks for any help!

lupa-f replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • dennis-turner

July 16, 2020 at 5:17 pm

I hear you Lupa! My F3 needs to have the left arm raised when i am in the car because of my seatbelt. It crashes down on my shoulder all the time.

IF anyone has an easy fix, I definitely want to hear it.
    Dennis

• lupa-f

July 16, 2020 at 6:55 pm

So I found this: https://www.mealtimepartners.com/products/drinking_products/front-mounted/front-mounted_for_slide-track.htm

It’s a bit expensive, but it could work depending on how easily the arm bends and how it’s mounted. Like bend the arm so it’s a little behind the seat while the armrest is up to give a little more resistance. Even if it doesn’t work, it’d still be a nice thing for when I want to be lazy at the computer and not have to lift my drink up.

• lupa-f

July 22, 2020 at 2:27 pm

I got the mealtime device delivered yesterday. The arm that holds the cup is a lot stiffer than I expected so I don’t think it’ll work great as something to block the arm from falling down since it’ll be too hard to reposition regularly. It does seem like a useful enough device regardless so I’m going to keep it. I’ll play around with it for a while and see if I can figure out some good uses for it.

• dennis-turner

July 22, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Sorry Lupa, I know you had hopes this would solve the problem.

• deann-r

July 23, 2020 at 8:46 am

Such a bummer when a good idea doesn’t pan out. My wheelchair guy is coming today to do a minor repair, so I’ll ask if he has ideas.

• lupa-f

July 23, 2020 at 10:09 am

I did think of another use for it besides just a cup holder. It can go in the track that’s on the top of the back of the seat, so I’m going to put some velcro on the cup holder and my kindle and use it to hold up my kindle. And since it’s on the back of the seat and not the base or armrests, I can recline and it’ll go with me.

• deann-r

July 23, 2020 at 11:02 am

Hey Lupa, I just talked to my wheelchair guy. He said on Permobile you should be able to tighten the tension so it doesn’t fall down so easily. He said usually it’s held on by a plate where you can tighten so when it gets in the upright position it catches in a groove and should stay there. Hope that helps.

• lupa-f

July 23, 2020 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, I actually had a tech out yesterday for something unrelated and asked him about it and he said the same thing and even tightened it a bit. It didn’t seem to change much so it wasn’t really what I was hoping for. But maybe he didn’t quite do it right. I’ll play around with it once I get my other parts I have to put back on it show up (the armrest angle adjustment bar on the one side has been broken since it was delivered).