SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Preparing for Changing Seasons

• Preparing for Changing Seasons

Posted by deann-r on September 27, 2019 at 12:00 pm

If you know me at all, you know winter is my least favorite season followed by fall. Don’t get me wrong, each season has its benefits, like a frost killing off mosquitoes, but for me the downfalls usually outweigh the upsides of these two seasons. I live in the upper Midwest, I mean about as upper as you can get. Change of seasons is inevitable, so I’m going to do my best to prepare and embrace it.

One aspect of autumn I despise is that I never know when the last nice day will be. You know, the day where you can walk outside (yes I’m using that term figuratively) and not be chilly. To combat that I already have my various weights of ponchos at hand. My fuzzy socks are next to my thin ones and my long sleeves next to my t’s. I didn’t find a good sale on hand warmers last year, so I’m afraid I’ll be paying full price for that essential.

I’m not the only one seeking shelter as the temperatures plummet. Bugs do too. Both the viral kind and the ones with 8 legs. Spiders have 8 legs right? Not that I get close enough to count. I’ve heard those creepy creatures don’t like peppermint oil, so I have a mixture ready to spray in every corner and crevice of the house. As for the other type of bugs I referred to I’ve purchased my elderberry syrup, have my germ fighting oils in my diffuser, stocked up on hand sanitizer and have requested a flu shot when they become available. Those viruses are going down!

Even though I’ll never fully enjoy the beautiful fall foliage, as I know I’ll need to recruit someone to rake up the leaves after they fall, I can at least be prepared. Do you do any prep for the changing seasons? What are your fall essentials?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

September 27, 2019 at 5:46 pm

That stage of “ is this a t shirt or winter coat day?” is kind of annoying. Lately I’ve been making sure I have my vest on hand. I can get away with it and not a coat at this point.

• halsey-blocher

September 27, 2019 at 8:50 pm

My wardrobe is also beginning to change as the weather gets cooler. I’ve started wearing half sleeve shirts, and I’m dreading the day I have to get out a coat.