SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Reversing the Caregiver Role with my Mom

• Reversing the Caregiver Role with my Mom

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 29, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week so far.

Check out my latest column here. I wrote about my mom’s recent knee replacement surgery, and how we’ve had to adapt accordingly. Normally my mom helps me during the day. Thankfully she’s doing a lot better, but it’s still been an adjustment. I also wanted to show my appreciation for all the wonderful parents and caregivers out there in this piece. Hope you all enjoy reading!

Have any of you been in a similar situation? What do you do when one of your caregivers is out or on medical leave?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

July 29, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Great column. Love the Home Alone reference.

Last year, my dad was diagnosed with heart disease. We weren’t sure of the extent of it so he had to go for a catheterization and would be out of commission for a week. He and my mom split my personal care (along with some help we get from PCAs), so we had to adjust. On the day of the procedure, my mom got a cold haha. Like you said yourself, it was an “adventure.” We typically seclude whoever is sick to a bedroom, but that wasn’t possible this time around. My mom ended up using PPE (ohhhh the irony) to take care of me, and I managed to stay healthy.

I’m glad your mom is doing better! Please give her my best.