SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Rising Above Challenges Like The Phoenix

• Rising Above Challenges Like The Phoenix

Posted by deann-r on November 12, 2021 at 2:00 pm

https://youtu.be/Tl0IEAmTens
    For me there’s nothing more devastating than realizing another ability has gone by the wayside. In this video you can see the apprehension I feel when faced with giving up a hobby. The reality is that sometimes there are too many obstacles and it’s not worth the effort. However I’m not about to give up that easily. Watch as I overcome each obstacle that is thrown in my path. Like the project I’m working on is called the Phoenix, I take that spirit and rise above.

To be honest this project was a reality check. Even though I accomplished it, kind of, I did struggle and it isn’t complete. Still, I’m proud of myself for not throwing in the towel just yet. In the end I’ll have a beautiful reminder that with a little perseverance I can accomplish what I set my mind to, one way or another.

Below I have links to where you can find the Phoenix pattern as well as a link to the YouTube channel where I shop for fabric from home. I’m not sponsored by either, but just thought I’d post links in case you were curious what the project intended to be since I’m not done with it yet. Plus, who doesn’t love shopping from home? If it’s you don’t answer that was a rhetorical question.

What types of obstacles have you overcome? How did you go about it?

https://gequiltdesigns.com/products/phoenix-pdf-fat-quarter-pattern?_pos=1&_sid=f254be1b2&_ss=r

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCklfVhDsXJCagKWJ1Ru91fg

deann-r replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

November 15, 2021 at 8:50 am

I’m proud of you too! Loved watching how you sew. This video reminded me of how I lost the ability to draw in high school and how devastated I was. Drawing was my favorite pastime and after one stint in the hospital, I lost use of my arms. It took many years, but I discovered how to draw again using just one finger on my computer. While I had no other choice than to switch to digital drawing, I’m so proud of myself for not giving up on what brings me joy. I draw every day now. 🙂

Ps- love your manicure!

• blake-watson

November 15, 2021 at 11:10 am

Yeah, as we’re all painfully aware, losing an ability sucks. Good on you guys for figuring it out!

I feel like I live with one eye on the future, always evaluating my current abilities against what I estimate to be my trajectory of function loss, for lack of a better phrase. I already have thoughts about how I will continue to use a computer and work at my job in the event of further hand-function loss, for example. I’ve already transitioned to using voice about half the time (as opposed to onscreen keyboard).

This thread reminds me of something I wrote forever ago:

Being able to reach out and grab something is an empowering feeling. There is a certain joy in the tangibility of things. Physical connections are part of our human nature. When fishing, it’s the grip of the rod and the pull of the fish. When shooting hoops, it’s the feeling of the ball’s momentum as you control it. When playing piano, it’s the rhythm underneath your fingers. When dating, it’s a touch on the arm or a spontaneous hug.

These are the world of the tangible. When we were babies, we explored this brave new world. Many people, I think, grow up to take this tangibility for granted. While I would never trade my mind for physical ability, I realize that there is a part of the world in which my participation is waning. Even with its capacity for thought, ideas, and emotion, the world of the mind can still be a cold, dark, and lonely place.

• deann-r

November 16, 2021 at 3:58 pm

I should probably be more forward thinking. Didn’t give up typing till I broke my arm. Thanks for sharing your writing selection too. Love it!