SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Sciatic Pain After Spinraza

• Sciatic Pain After Spinraza

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 2, 2022 at 4:43 pm

Safe to say I am dealing with the worst aftermath of all my Spinraza injections (19) to date. I had my injection about a week ago and am still in pretty significant pain today. The procedure was a disaster for several reasons that I won’t get into right now, and even my surgeon was remorseful about it. He suggested I’d be in considerable pain, but I was not expecting it to be this long.

My main issue right now is bad sciatic pain. I can’t be in a sitting position for more than ten minutes. Laying down hurts because I’m still putting pressure on my butt. And standing, well, ya know…

I’d really like to avoid things like gabapentin. I also prefer not to take ibuprofen because it backs up my GI system like you wouldn’t believe, and I just got over a bout with that this weekend. Any natural remedies that work for you? Heat? Ice? CBD cream?

Hoping to avoid actual meds.

deann-r replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

March 3, 2022 at 9:52 am

Sorry to hear you’re going through this. I never had lingering pain with my injections, so not positive what would work best. From a purely off the top of my head thinking I would ice it trying to reduce inflammation. Sounds like your nerves got aggravated. I’ve heard of some folks getting a steroid from their doctor. If it persists it could be an option. As far as at home, maybe try rubbing on arnica gel? Good luck. Let us know if you find something that works.