• Service Dog Fraud

Posted by deann-r on September 6, 2019 at 11:15 am

Wednesday Kevin shared a 31 Days of SMA story regarding service dogs. That brought to mind another topic. Service dog fraud. More and more this is becoming a problem. People are trying to pass off pets as service animals for various reasons. This is harmful to those of us who do have legitimate service dogs. Sometimes it can be dangerous. Many times it just creates a poor impression of service dogs in general. In my case so many people were claiming therapy and service dogs that the city quit offering free licenses to those of us with service dogs. Luckily I haven’t had any negative incidents out in public, but I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time. I’m attaching a link to pledge against service dog fraud https://secure.cci.org/site/SPageNavigator/stop_fraud_pledge.html This is the reputable organization where I got my service dog. Have you had interactions with fake service dogs? I’d love to hear your stories.

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ryan-berhar

September 9, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Coincidentally, yesterday, a family member of mine said she’s going to try to make her dog an emotional support animal. I’ve always considered the whole “emotional support” stuff as pretty much nonsense. I’m not sure what the laws are, but it seems like exploiting a loophole. It’s not something I support, but I don’t get too hung up on it either.