SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Setting Goals for 2021

• Setting Goals for 2021

Posted by deann-r on January 5, 2021 at 11:00 am

Do you make resolutions? I’ve never been a resolution kind of person. That’s not to say I dont set goals for the upcoming year ahead. Last year I aimed to get another service dog, new wheelchair and acquire a JACO Robotic Arm. Two out of three ain’t bad. By November I was transitioning to a new wheelchair and bonding with my SD Horton. My goals for 2021 include acquiring a JACO (maybe I’ll have success this year) and making my home more automated for my needs. I’m also working on being content with where I’m at. Not only literally (in my home in Minnesota) but also in the less tangible sense (being a 41 year old single gal who can barely reach my face.)

With the JACO, I’m trying to balance patience with my squeaky wheel. So far the process has stalled twice and it took emails on my end to get the ball rolling again. Had I known what the holdup was sooner I could have taken care of it earlier. Frustrating for sure, but I’m nothing less than persistent and will keep on top of it. We’ll see what 2021 brings.

Aspects of my home are challenging. It’s irritating when lights are on & I can’t reach them. Or my gate is latched but I want to take my dog out. Now that it’s dark before 5 it’d be nice to be able to close the curtains too. Options are available but I’m not always sure what would work best. To help I’ve consulted virtually with an organization called Tech for Home. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with. I’ll keep you posted. In the meantime my smartplug power strip is in packaging!

Feeling content may be the most challenging. Countless times I’ve considered moving. It’s just not feasible. If I lived somewhere else it’s not like I’d have more mobility or my struggles would vanish. It might create more struggles. So, I’m working on embracing where I’m at. That goes for my abilities as well. Sometimes it’s easy to want to do more than I know I can. I have projects lined up I know are beyond my abilities. Even though I think it’s good to push your boundaries I also think it’s important to know your limitations. So, I’ll be working on that.

What are your goals/resolutions? Do you have a plan to achieve them? I’d love to hear what you’ve got envisioned for 2021.

lupa-f replied 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lupa-f

January 7, 2021 at 5:02 pm

I’m trying a new hobby, hopefully one I’ll keep doing for more than 2 minutes unlike every other one I’ve tried. Pretty much all the clothes I own and like are no longer being made, so I’m going to try to learn how to sew. I still have my old clothes so I think I can use those as a pattern to make new versions, and maybe actually make stuff that fits me properly.

As for lights in your house: have you tried something like Hue lights? I got some a while ago and really like them. I can turn them on and off from my phone or Alexa with my voice.  It’s really nice to be able to turn on and off the lights around the house while I’m in bed. But the Hue branded ones are expensive, especially the multicolored ones, The white bulbs aren’t quite as expensive and there are other non-Hue versions that are cheaper too.