SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Shifting Positions in Bed

• Shifting Positions in Bed

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 11, 2018 at 3:08 pm

I typically sleep on my left side at night, but like anyone I still need to change positions to avoid discomfort. However, it is getting more difficult for my Dad to turn me when he’s with me. It’s getting to the point where it’s a struggle for him to turn me just a few inches.

Do any of you have this problem? Do you have a support pad or something that makes it easier for someone to shift you?

adnan-hafizovic replied 5 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

July 11, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Currently I turn 2-3 times a night on average. None of my caregivers have difficulty turning me, so that’s not something I’ve had to deal with. But here’s a possible solution for you. At the hospital they put  a little sheet or something underneath you. That’s how the nurses turn me and stuff. I’m sure you’ve experienced that too. Just an idea.

• kevin-schaefer

July 12, 2018 at 9:43 am

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. My caregiver doesn’t have any problem turning me, but my dad could use something like this.

• chantell-venter

July 12, 2018 at 9:09 am

I sleep on a large towel (bath sheet) which my caregiver pulls to turn me. It works the same way as the draw sheet used in hospitals. It is just important to straighten it properly after each turn to prevent pressure points.

• kevin-schaefer

July 12, 2018 at 9:44 am

Good tip. Yeah I know it can be tricky to keep the pad in the right position. Thanks.

• deann-r

July 12, 2018 at 4:47 pm

My Mom made one that is silky on the bottom and flannel on the top so it slides on the bed, but grips me better.  We still don’t have the knack of it though.

• michael-morale

July 12, 2018 at 9:23 am

Many years ago, when I slept in a regular bed, my father was having to get up three or four times a night to help me roll from one side to the other. While I would always start out on my left side, my shoulder would start to hurt after a while, forcing me to change positions. A friend of mine told me about the Sleep Number beds. These beds have air mattresses that allow you to increase or decrease the amount of air that is present in the mattress, making sleeping an achievable task. When I went to purchase one of these beds, I also got the one where I could raise and lower my head and my feet. You can raise your head separately from your feet, and you can raise your feet separately from your head. Along with the adjustable portion of the bed, I also purchased the one that had the massage feature.

After purchasing this bed, I am now able to sleep the entire night and if I get uncomfortable, I can change the position of the bed by myself. Even though these beds are expensive, if something was to happen to mine today, I would go out and purchase another one without any hesitation. If you are having trouble sleeping throughout the night, and you have to have someone help you multiple times throughout the night, you might consider purchasing one of these bed.

• kevin-schaefer

July 12, 2018 at 9:46 am

I actually did acquire one of these beds in the last year. It definitely helps. I still prefer to turn some, but in general this bed helps me sleep a lot better.

• jim-daffron

July 12, 2018 at 9:45 am

I need help turning onto my side. I too have a sleep number bed. When I want to move I adjust it to the firmest setting of 100 so that my body is on a firm flat surface instead sunk down in the mattress. This makes it very easy for my wife to turn me onto my side. Once on my side, I lower the setting to a softer and more comfortable number.

• kevin-schaefer

July 12, 2018 at 9:52 am

I need to try different settings. Is there a standard level you like to keep it at once you’re in a good position?

• michael-morale

July 12, 2018 at 10:11 am

I usually keep my bed between 40% and 60% of air. I have found that this is the most comfortable setting for me.

• jim-daffron

July 12, 2018 at 11:18 am

I start off on my back at 80. This is pretty firm but it helps me to stretch my back out as flat as I can. I sleep like that for a couple of hours. After that I pump the mattress up to 90 or 100 and my wife rolls me to my side. I then drop the number to 55 and sleep until morning. If I feel any soreness in my hips I’ll raise and/or lower the number until it goes away.

With other mattresses and when I stay in hotels I sometimes experience a claustrophobic  panic feeling from sinking too far into the mattress. With the sleep number bed I can always make it firmer or raise the head of the bed for a little while until that panic feeling goes away.

• kevin-schaefer

July 12, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Jim. I’ll keep this in mind.

• adnan-hafizovic

July 13, 2018 at 5:07 am

I usually sleep on my right side whole night ,I can little roll on ,but i must in the morning roll on,on my left side,mom helps me,I use usually bed,but sometimes I use ,how to say I use thinny mattress with pump,wich is put on bed mattress,that thinn mattress is splitt on partitions,one partition is inflate and other isn`t,every ten minutes that partition deflate and other inflate,that mattress is separated on twenty partition,I think.Maybe someone try that mattress,for me is good solution and it it cheap.