• SMA Moms are Appreciated

Posted by deann-r on May 12, 2018 at 9:28 pm

From my personal experience moms of children with SMA go above and beyond the typical role of motherhood. Yes, the basics are the same…keep your baby safe, happy and healthy…but so much more is involved in doing those three things.  Somehow my mom accomplished this with me, yet not without our trials.  As a kid I had plenty of the typical bumps and bruises along with kidney stones,  a collapsed lung, countless bouts of pneumonia and a spinal fusion.  All that before I turned 12.  As an adult my trials and tribulations have continued.  Mom has been by my side through it all.  Even when code blue was being called to my hospital room.  I can only imagine the panic a mom feels when she knows it’s her baby (albeit her 37 year old baby) the code is being called for.

For all of you SMA moms, I want to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day!  Your love and support is appreciated more than you’ll ever know.  Even though I no longer live at home I know she’s only a phone call away.  Unless it’s snowing, then I’m on my own.  What have you put your mom through?

deann-r replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

May 12, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this DeAnn. My Mom (and my Dad) are superheroes when it comes to parenting. In addition to being there for all the medical emergencies and knowing exactly what to do every time, my Mom also manages a ton of day-to-day logistical matters. She’s a rock.

I also put her through Hell when I was 14, and by the grace of God she didn’t kill me lol. Putting up with me at that age is by far the greatest challenge she’s had to overcome.

• adnan-hafizovic

May 15, 2018 at 11:48 am

Kevin like you said for your parents they are superheroes,I also can to say similar thing.Before five years my dad died and it was big big lost for me.Now I have only a mom and she is my mom and caregiver,I haven`t how to say regular caregiver.All things I do with my mom now and I have luck that my brother live near by and help me with his wife.

• kevin-schaefer

May 15, 2018 at 11:59 am

I’m sorry you had to deal with that loss at an early age, but that’s awesome that your Mom has always been there for you. And that’s great too that your brother and his wife can help out as well. My brother and sister also live near me and my parents, and my brother drives me a lot and we hang out. My sister has her hands a little more full because she and her husband have a one year-old haha.

• deann-r

May 15, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I lost my father a couple years ago. My mom is probably the strongest person I know. With a full-time job an twin girls, my sister helps out when she can.  This summer I’ve hired my nieces to mow my lawn.  We’ll see how that goes. They just turned 13.