• Spinal surgery recovery

Posted by aimee on December 30, 2020 at 2:10 pm

Hey all!  We are 3 weeks post-op from my daughter Callie’s (10) spinal fusion.  It has been such a hard few weeks.  I’m trying to reassure Callie that the pain and struggle is temporary and that she will feel better soon, but at this point I’m having a hard time convincing myself of that as well.  She is a strong type 2 and this surgery has taken away a lot of her flexibility.  I feel like this was the right choice to make for her long term health, but right now it doesn’t feel like it was the right thing.  If anyone has some good juju or advice to send our way I’d appreciate it!

aimee replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

December 30, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Hi Aimee! Thanks for reaching out.

I had to have spinal fusion surgery in 2005, and it’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. It’s intense pain, and your daughter is a champion.

The best thing you can do is keep encouraging her and supporting her as best you can. I will say from experience that despite the pain, the surgery was well worth it. I started sitting up straighter and having more flexibility than before. Definitely glad I did it, even though it was hard to see the benefits at the time.

Keep us posted!

• deann-r

December 30, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Gosh, this post brings me back to when I had my fusion at age 11. It was excruciating, but probably the best decision my parents made.  We had to learn different ways to do things because at that time my parents still lifted me and it hurt.  Even my sleep position changed.   The best piece of advice I received is that everyone finds their own center of balance.  For me if I lean forward a bit with abdominal support I have the best mobility. It’s different for everyone.   The long term benefits definitely outweigh the short term pain.  I don’t ever experience back aches and it improved my lung function.  Recovery is a process but it does get better.  Playing video games took my mind off things.  Hugs!

• aimee

January 5, 2021 at 7:05 pm

Oh wow I just now saw these responses.  Thank you so much for the encouragement!