SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Spontaneity Challenges

• Spontaneity Challenges

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 21, 2020 at 11:00 am

Being spontaneous sounds like an enticing idea at first thought. But then there are factors to consider before embarking on said spontaneity. Will the destination be accessible? What equipment do I need? Will I have the energy? The list goes on and on until suddenly… it’s not so spontaneous after all.

To an extent, living with SMA makes this challenging given the fact that we’re physically dependent on others. Halsey writes about this topic in a recent column and discusses how difficult it is to truly be spontaneous. I feel for her. Sometimes I wish I could just hop into the car and drive to an unknown destination. At the same time, I wonder if I’m just glorifying spontaneity because it is unattainable to me.

What about you? Do you aim to have some spontaneity in your life? If so, how?

deann-r replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

October 21, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Spontaneity is definitely something most people take for granted. Although it sounds enticing it can be a hassle. When a cousin came to town and invited us to supper last minute I made it work, but I had to shift schedules and get a ride among other things. Of course I couldn’t change clothes and freshen up like most people either, but it all worked out.