SMA News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ Info ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Stomach Issues/When to See a Doctor

• Stomach Issues/When to See a Doctor

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 25, 2019 at 11:00 am

Happy Friday everyone!

So I’ve been experiencing some stomach and abdominal issues lately. Lately I’ve had more stomachaches than usual, even when I eat light. Then over the past couple days I’ve had diarrhea and some abdominal pain. I feel a little better now, but it’s still been frustrating of course.

I reached out to my primary care physician, and I have a regular appointment with her soon. She gave me some tips, and I’m sure we’ll talk more. Right now, I’m just wondering if it’s something like a virus that’ll pass, or if it’s something a little more serious like gallbladder issues. I have had viruses in the past that just took time to pass.

Any tips? I’ve been drinking a lot of water and ginger ale, but it’s still a pain when I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the workday, and then transfer back in my chair afterwards.

Sorry for the less than pleasant topic on a Friday afternoon haha. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

October 25, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Ugh, I can relate. I occasionally have issues and it’s miserable. Especially when you gotta go and it’s a process just to get to the toilet. I was told to increase fiber, but don’t think it really helped. I don’t have a gallbladder anymore and still have issues, so don’t know what to tell you. Haven’t had luck finding the correlation in my case. Curious, what tips did your doctor suggest? If it happens too frequently they’ll probably want to test for c-diff.

• kevin-schaefer

October 25, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Yeah, it’s never fun. Fortunately, I am feeling a lot better today, and it helped that I had PT today. The pool I use is heated, so just being in the water made my body feel better.

My doctor said to keep an eye on it, but if the pain worsens or doesn’t go away, we can do an ultrasound. I also have an upcoming urologist appointment, so I’ll get an x-ray then. Hopefully it’s nothing major, but I’ll keep tracking it. My appetite is also back to normal today, so that’s good.

• ryan-berhar

October 25, 2019 at 2:30 pm

I have to take stomach issues very seriously, as I can get metabolic acidosis, which has nearly killed me on at least a couple occasions. I don’t think that’s the case with you, but I would still be careful

• kevin-schaefer

October 25, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, it’s definitely something I’ll continue to monitor. I’ll see what my primary doctor and urologist say.